Dual boot Win 10 and XP 32bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2018
I have win 10 on SSD and UEFI not Legacy BIOS.
I want to add XP 32bit on a separate hard drive and dual boot with Win10
I read lots of mixed advices that didnt work for diferent reasons - need Legacy BIOS instead, some say unpluge SSD first then install XP, other do not unplug but use EasyBCD after XP install(doesent work with UEFI) some say you have to turn off fast boot first etc...

Can someone give me step by step instructions for this specific situation- have Win 10 with UEFI, want to add XP 32 for dual boot, or direct me to a link with descrptions for this specific targeted configuration.

Because, most instructions i saw are for win 7,8 or Vista and are most about how to create particions on existing drives, and as i said are either conflicting or not detailed enough (what bios confuguration to have before install). And on that side note: at first i couldnt install XP from CD (read i had to press F7 while it loads files). That helped going through the first part but then XP instalation didnt see any of my drives (i had to switch from ACHI to IDE for XP to see drives).

-First, you need to find out if XP will install on the system, since is likely that it won't work on modern hardware.
If you have a UEFI BIOS then XP cannot be installed except on Legacy BIOS mode on a MBR formatted hard drive.

-Also modern SATA drivers are not in the XP Setup, and it must be preset during XP setup. So you will need to Slipstream SATA drivers into Windows XP CD or bootable Windows XP USB drive. Otherwise it will ask you to insert floppy disk to directly load the SATA drivers.

You need to install XP on a separate HDD first, so that Windows 10 setup would know how to configure the dual boot.
If you already have installed Windows 10, disconnect or disabled the disc.
After you are done with XP plug back the Windows 10 disc. Boot XP by pressing F12 boot menu key. At this moment you will not you see Windows 10 or a boot menu option, since XP installs its own bootloader and cannot recognize newer Windows versions.
I suggest you install EasyBCD to Windows 10 and add XP to the 'Bootloader' menu. EasyBCD needs Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework SP1 on XP to work.

You might have better luck virtualizing XP from within Windows 10 using Virtual Box or VMWare, or use Hyper-V to add XP Mode VM to Windows 10.

Apr 3, 2018

I did succeed in installing XP but, as I said, had to change from AHCI do IDE so it would detect drive. I could boot into both systems but only through BIOS, switching this option. EasyBCD in Win 10 didn't help me to boot into XP, I guess it has to do with it being installed on IDE ?

So, if I change to legacy BIOS, reinstall XP with added sata drivers in AHCI, with unplugged Win 10 then add Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework SP1 on XP...how to use EasyBCD in Win 10 to add XP? Will it let me boot in Win 10 after plugging it back?

If you have them installed on separate drives anyway, then simply use the BIOS to switch between boot devices rather than some dumb boot manager you'll have to edit each time you add/remove or change drives around.

Win 10 boots fine in Legacy BIOS mode provided you aren't trying to boot from a GPT disk (required for >2TB boot disk which is unlikely with a SSD). So if your SSD is already MBR then it should be no problem to leave it there.

Win XP does not need to be reinstalled to switch from IDE to AHCI.

I do have to warn you that if XP ever touches the SSD, the NTFS versions aren't completely compatible so it will trip the dirty check bit, resulting in an automatic chkdsk on next bootup of either XP or Win 10. If you let that run in XP, it may corrupt the filesystem enough that 10 won't ever boot again. So exclude that disk from dirty-bit checking in XP.

Apr 3, 2018
Well, I could only give solution for my specific case...

You have to "inject" XP version of your on-board Intel SATA AHCI Controller driver onto XP installation image using a program called nLite. Problem is, most modern boards (like mine) doesn't have XP version of these drivers, but forum mentioned above has modified XP versions.

First you look for DeviceID of your chipset in Win 10 Device Manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers (Properties>Details>Property>Hardware Ids)
Its something like (for me) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C82&SUBSYS_85341043&REV_00 etc... VEN is manufacturer (Intel in this case) and everything after DIV is the thing you are looking for, so my Device ID is 8C82.
Second, from mentioned forum and thread you find appropriate XP version of drivers for this Device ID, there are win rar files for OS you want to install, 32 bit or 64, what kind of OS etc. You search based on your chipset (mine Z97)
Third, you need to unpack content of XP installation drive in some folder on a drive where you are doing all this (no image, just unpacked installation drive)
Fourth,you start nLite choose options to integrate and make image, when it does its thing burn it to CD/DVD (or even better in mu case on bootable USB, a LOT faster installation of XP) When a list pops you chose based on DeviceID from step one.
Fifth, now you can install Win XP 32bit with AHCI enabled.
Sixth, install Win 10 on an SSD
Seventh,use EasyBCD to add XP

You hadn't mentioned the particulars of the system you were attempting to install XP on, or I could've been more helpful and explained the systems that seem to need Fernando's AHCI driver for XP are 70-series chipsets like Z77 or X79. Z67 works as-is with all fully-supported drivers (even with Ivy Bridge so long as you aren't using its IGP which has no XP driver). Newer chipsets also work with the custom AHCI driver but of course have other issues with USB 3.0.

How did you deal with that problem in Z97 on XP? I suppose some boards do have both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports or headers because the chipset itself supports 8 USB 2.0 and 6 USB 3.0.

Apr 3, 2018

Yes, I forgot to mention my board, its Asus Z97M-Plus.
Only real problem with USB i had was when booting into XP USB devices would shut down (mouse & keyboard)
Played a little in Bios settings and the thing that fixed it was turning compatibility option to Legacy only (it has Legacy and UEFI together but it didn't work) also turning off fast boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.