Dual Boot Win 7 32 bit and Win 7 64 bit

Driftwood42

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I am currently using W7 RC and plan to purchase the Home Premium version - I put RC on a new computer and thus cannot use the upgrade path. Can I install dual boot 32 bit Win 7 and 64 bit Win 7 OS on the same computer and hard drive? If so, how would I go about doing so without losing all my stuff from the RC install?

Alternately, if I install W7 64 bit over the 32 bit RC will I have any problems?

Many thanks to any assistance you can provide.

Solution
You may not do what Microsoft call an "In Place Upgrade" (which preserves apps and settings) from 32 bit to 64 bit. You may, however, do a "Custom Install" - this puts your existing 32 bit installation/data into a folder called "WINDOWS_OLD". The 64 bit install will be clean, you will (with a few exceptions) not be able to run apps from the Windows_Old folder, so you'll have to do the reinstall routine. But your Data will be preserved - retrievable from the Windows_Old folder.

If you want to set up a Dual Boot - You'll need to set up a separate drove or partition. Then install 64 bit to that. Once W7 64 is all finished, you may then change the config to dual boot with the other W7 install.

ulysses35

Distinguished
I would go for a clean install of 64bit Windows 7 - most 32bit applicatins will work fine anyway - so need to use the 32bit version

I beleive if you have a windows CD that is supported by the upgrade option you lwill be prompted to insert the old windows (XP etc) during Windows 7 installation to verify you have a copy that is possible uo upgrade from.

Windows 7 32 & 64 are on the same disc - only the license key is different

You may not do what Microsoft call an "In Place Upgrade" (which preserves apps and settings) from 32 bit to 64 bit. You may, however, do a "Custom Install" - this puts your existing 32 bit installation/data into a folder called "WINDOWS_OLD". The 64 bit install will be clean, you will (with a few exceptions) not be able to run apps from the Windows_Old folder, so you'll have to do the reinstall routine. But your Data will be preserved - retrievable from the Windows_Old folder.

If you want to set up a Dual Boot - You'll need to set up a separate drove or partition. Then install 64 bit to that. Once W7 64 is all finished, you may then change the config to dual boot with the other W7 install.

Solution