Question Dual boot win10 + ubuntu, grub and boot error.

Jul 28, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am trying to set up dual boot win10-kubuntu on my system, but run into some problems. in a nutshell, installing kubuntu breaks my windows boot and prevents me from accessing it.

I have a system running windows 10, and want to install kubuntu as dual boot alongside it.
However, anytime i try to install kubuntu (which goes without a problem), i have no way of accessing windows again. It only recognizes the drive with Kubuntu on it.
When attempting to load windows, or physically disconnecting the drive with the ubuntu files, i Get the Grub error "no such device recognized" at boot.
With a boot-repair usb i have managed to change the message to "no bootable medium has been detected, press ctrl+alt+delete to restart.
This was luckily fixable through diskpart using a live windows usb (the repair fnction did not work). In this case however, my kubuntu was disconnected and is no longer booting.

Now, i am reluctant to try this for the third time and getting stuck fixing the boot at 5 am again. what am i doing wrong? why does the boot stop functioning after installing a kubuntu alongside my existing win10?

I really want to switch to (K)ubuntu alltogether, but since i am not used to it i want to dual boot it for a while to get used to ubuntu and figure out what programs to use instead of the windows ones. Win10 is becoming more and more of a pain 😢

I have an uefi-boot
Fastboot and secureboot are disabled
win10 enterprise N is currently installed and functioning.
I have 4 physical drives on my system, I am using different physical drives for the win10 and kubuntu installs.

I have not found a good answer in another another thread, hence the question. I hope this is posted in the correct forum, but i did not know where else to post it.

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
If you're looking to experiment with kubuntu (or any other Linux build) you might want to look at running it in a virtual machine within Windows. It's much less hassle than setting up a dual boot system as I have experienced myself.

I happily recommend VirtualBox for Windows. It's free, pretty easy to use and steps you through creating a virtual machine & HDD to install kubuntu to.

Jul 28, 2019
If you're looking to experiment with kubuntu (or any other Linux build) you might want to look at running it in a virtual machine within Windows. It's much less hassle than setting up a dual boot system as I have experienced myself.

I happily recommend VirtualBox for Windows. It's free, pretty easy to use and steps you through creating a virtual machine & HDD to install kubuntu to.
Thanks for the reply. I previously ran ubuntu through VMware however, and it is simply not the experience i am looking for. It is often slow, somewhat buggy at times and for ease of use causes me to run programs on windows directly anyway. The aim is to get rid of windows entirely in time, so a dualboot is ideal, and once i get used to ubuntu i can deinstall windows.