Dual boot win7/xp major mess up help needed!

devan5

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
So i have two hard drives. The larger one has windows 7 installed on it. the smaller one is new and so i decided to install win xp on it.

with both drives plugged in i successfully installed win xp on the smaller drive. my problem is that everytime i boot up i do not see the option for win 7 in the boot menu and by default the pc always boots into win xp

i made sure in my bios that the boot priority was with the larger hdd first but this still does not seem to solve anything. i have also disabled the hdd with xp on it but it still boots into it.

how do i get back to win 7 and how do i see it in the boot options. will removing sata cable from small hd solve it?

also all my win 7 contents are present as i checked them in win xp

i will greatly appreciate any help

thanks

Solution
When you installed XP on the smaller drive, it overwrote the boot manager for Windows 7. The issue is that XP's boot loader does not recognise the newer OS. Windows 7 know how to start XP, though.

So:

Boot to your Win 7 install DVD.

Select Install

On the second screen, choose "Repair" in the lower left.

OK

OK

Yeah yeah yeah - finish already....

it reboots...

Done - You should be able to Dual Boot now.

When you installed XP on the smaller drive, it overwrote the boot manager for Windows 7. The issue is that XP's boot loader does not recognise the newer OS. Windows 7 know how to start XP, though.

So:

Boot to your Win 7 install DVD.

Select Install

On the second screen, choose "Repair" in the lower left.

OK

OK

Yeah yeah yeah - finish already....

it reboots...

Done - You should be able to Dual Boot now.

Solution

devan5

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

yep, that solved everything thankyou