[SOLVED] Dual Boot Windows 10 pro/Linux

rigger922

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
Hello, I'm looking for a bit of advice on creating a dual boot i have 3 drives.
(C) 256gb SSD Drive/ Which is my boot drive for windows 10 this has all programs origin,steam etc on it and nothing else other then windows files
(E) 500gb NVME Drive/ This is my gaming drive this has all my games on it. steam/orgin/epic all have there install directories pointing here
(D) 1tb HDD Drive/this is is a storage drive for videos/photos etc
My plan is to install Linux in a partition on my (E) drive but i was woundering if do this will i still be able to install games on this drive from windows 10 and play them on windows 10 without Linux effecting this and if so what would you say is a good size partition to make for Linux it will only be used for programming nothing else.

Solution
It should work - however, when assigning space on your NVME drive, there are several ways of doing it - I list up from what's assumed the least safe option to the most safe, depending if you're willing to reinstall all the games.
  • Use some software to reduce the partition on the NVME. Gparted normally work good for this (and is also included in the menu on most distro live desktop).
    • The big catch is there is a lot of data to move internally on the drive, and such an operation may not be the best way threating such a drive for long lifetime.
    • If you still decide to do it this way: rather than decrease the partition from the start, you should decrease from the end (so you have emty space behind the existing partition)...
It should work - however, when assigning space on your NVME drive, there are several ways of doing it - I list up from what's assumed the least safe option to the most safe, depending if you're willing to reinstall all the games.
  • Use some software to reduce the partition on the NVME. Gparted normally work good for this (and is also included in the menu on most distro live desktop).
    • The big catch is there is a lot of data to move internally on the drive, and such an operation may not be the best way threating such a drive for long lifetime.
    • If you still decide to do it this way: rather than decrease the partition from the start, you should decrease from the end (so you have emty space behind the existing partition) because windows tend to fill up partitions from beginning towards the end, so this will save the storage unit for some stress. Unlike a hdd, the performance should be the same at the beginning as the end of storage space.
  • Take copy/backup of all files on the NVME drive, then create a new partition (less in size) and copy the files back. When installing Linux, you make a new partition on the free space.
Just remember to disconnect all other storage devices when installing Linux, to be sure not messing up something.

Solution