Dual Boot Windows 7 and 10

erico9211

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Hello,

I am having some issues with trying to dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10. I will be using Windows 7 as primary OS. Windows 10 will be for me to practice and mess around with. Ive tried 2 methods but am not getting the set up i want. I want my computer to boot up to give me the option to choose between the two. I want 7 to be installed onto my ssd because I will be using it more.

First method i tried was installing Windows 7 first and then making a separate partition for Windows 10 to be installed. I created the media tool for 10. I made sure the partition was formatted to NFTS. I rebooted my computer. Booted into media tool. Went through the set up process. The part where i get stuck is at the screen where it asks what partition i want to install 10 on. I selected the partition i created. It gives me error that i cannot install due to HDD being in a MBR format and needs to be in GPT format (apologize if thats not clear but it was an error in regards to MBR format and GPT). I tried formatting to each style but kept running into issues. I finally gave up and decided to buy an extra hdd to install 10 (40GB HDD for $2 at Microcenter).

Next method was to install Windows 7 onto my SSD like I usually do and then install Windows 10 onto the new HDD. I was able to install both operating systems with no issues but now it automatically boots into Windows 7 without giving me the option to choose which OS I want. I tried looking through my BIOS (UEFI Asus z-87 a) and started messing my boot options. I was running into issues with Windows 7 not booting first and instead Windows 10 would. Tried changing boot order but it reverted back. I finally somehow got Windows 7 to boot first.

I am wondering if there is an option in the UEFI that I can enable to give me the option to choose what OS to load? or is there another method to try to get this? I don't want to have to boot into BIOS every time and rearrange boot order just to get Windows 10.

Thanks in advanced