Dual Boot Windows XP Professional 32bit - Windows 8.1 64bit: Is it possible?

Henry-Johnson

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I have read online that dual booting Windows XP 32bit and Windows 8.1 64bit is possible. Is it? If so, how? I am planning on buying a new laptop this Summer and I want to dual boot WinXP 32bit to Win8.1 64bit since a lot of the programs and games I like to use don't run as well on Windows 8.1. I'm familiar with the roots of XP (I've used it for more than 10 years now, along with Vista and 7 for about 4 years), but I'm not that familiar with the roots of 8.1.

Solution
As stated above.
As long as you have drivers for your hardware under XP you will not have any problems.
Wipe the drive. Format partitions with NTFS. Install XP first. Then Install WIN7 or WIN8.1
During boot up you will have an option screen to pick which version of windows to boot.
I have three different bootable partitions, XP Gaming, XP business and Win 7.

The problems you will encounter is drivers for newer hardware under XP.

I'm running XP on a UEFI bios without problems, You just have to reboot to access bios, instead of access in windows.
On theory, you can do it. In the practice, it won't be so easy:
- new laptops don't have drivers for XP anymore. You might end up with some important devices (video, audio, WiFi, LAN, BT) not working under WinXP
- new laptops come with UEFI BIOS, and GPT formatted hard drives. XP does not support either
- you have to wipe out your hard drive, and start with installing XP first, then install (clean) Windows 8.1. Whether you will be able to install custom applications which miggt be preloaded on your laptop is completely different question

-

Henry-Johnson

Reputable
May 7, 2015
I am planning on using XP, but I could go with 32bit Win7 and run XP mode for some things. Thanks for your reply, Alabalcho

If anyone else sees any problems or how I maybe able to do it, please leave a message.

As stated above.
As long as you have drivers for your hardware under XP you will not have any problems.
Wipe the drive. Format partitions with NTFS. Install XP first. Then Install WIN7 or WIN8.1
During boot up you will have an option screen to pick which version of windows to boot.
I have three different bootable partitions, XP Gaming, XP business and Win 7.

The problems you will encounter is drivers for newer hardware under XP.

I'm running XP on a UEFI bios without problems, You just have to reboot to access bios, instead of access in windows.

Solution