dual boot with NT 2x?

Forrest

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004

I am trying to upgrade to Win XP but my installed NT 4.0 is on a partition
that is too small (2 MB). Can I install NT on a larger partition on the same
computer? Do I have to have all the original device disks to install a new
NT boot? Any other path I am missing that you could suggest?

Forrest

Not necessary. To do a clean install, boot the Windows XP CD-Rom. When you
get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found.
After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then again restart the
pc booting the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter assignments with your
new install.

During Windows XP setup, at some point, will want to confirm the previous
operating system for the upgrade; at that point you'll simply insert the
qualified product install CD for it to verify. Then the install will
proceed.

Check the pc, mb or hardware manufacturer's web site for the latest bios and
or Windows XP drivers for your devices.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Forrest" wrote:
|I am trying to upgrade to Win XP but my installed NT 4.0 is on a partition
| that is too small (2 MB). Can I install NT on a larger partition on the
same
| computer? Do I have to have all the original device disks to install a
new
| NT boot? Any other path I am missing that you could suggest?
|
| Forrest

Forrest

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004

I purchased the "upgrade" XP windows, so I need an NT insall to install over,
don't I? Are you saying that I need to go purchase a full-install disk?

-Forrest

"Forrest" wrote:
|I purchased the "upgrade" XP windows, so I need an NT insall to install
over,
| don't I?
* No not necessary.

Are you saying that I need to go purchase a full-install disk?
* No, you don't.