Hi

I wish to have a dual boot system on my computer. I currently have XP as
Drive C and want to have 98 on Drive D. My drive D is 120Gb but want to have
only 20 or so Gb for Win 98, therefore leaving around 100 or so for storage.
I have tried using the cmd to partition the drive deleting the old one
first, no success. I have tried using the Win XP interface to do so, no
success.
Can someone please tell me the best and easiest way to do this. Perhaps it
would be easier to just fdisk drive D. If this is the case can this be done
direct through XP? If so, how, please?

TIA

Nig

"Borrox" <Spamoff@foad.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I wish to have a dual boot system on my computer. I currently have XP as
> Drive C and want to have 98 on Drive D. My drive D is 120Gb but want to
have
> only 20 or so Gb for Win 98, therefore leaving around 100 or so for
storage.
> I have tried using the cmd to partition the drive deleting the old one
> first, no success. I have tried using the Win XP interface to do so, no
> success.
> Can someone please tell me the best and easiest way to do this. Perhaps it
> would be easier to just fdisk drive D. If this is the case can this be
done
> direct through XP? If so, how, please?
>
> TIA
>
> Nig

I recommend you buy Symantac Partition Magic. Sometimes it is free or very
cheap at CompUSA with rebates.

Using PM to partition your hard drive. I will have four partitions for XP,
98, general data and large data (Image and video). Create a 1.44" disk. Use
that disk to set either the XP or 98 active. (The computer boots from the
active partition.)

Borrox <Spamoff@foad.co.uk> wrote in message

> I wish to have a dual boot system on my computer. I currently have XP as Drive
> C and want to have 98 on Drive D. My drive D is 120Gb but want to have only 20
> or so Gb for Win 98, therefore leaving around 100 or so for storage.

> I have tried using the cmd to partition the drive deleting the old one first,
> no success. I have tried using the Win XP interface to do so, no success.

What exactly are you doing within XP and what exactly happens ?

Its very easy to delete what partitions are on the 120G
drive as long as they are something that XP recognises.

If XP cannot make any sense of the 120G drive, try wiping it with clearhdd
and just create the partitions you want in XP Disk Management. Be careful
you wipe just the 120G drive, usually best to physically unplug the boot drive
and run clearhdd from a bootable floppy etc.

> Can someone please tell me the best and easiest way to do this.

See above.

> Perhaps it would be easier to just fdisk drive D.

fdisk will refuse to delete partitions it doesnt understand.

> Borrox <Spamoff@foad.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> I wish to have a dual boot system on my computer. I currently have XP as
>> Drive C and want to have 98 on Drive D. My drive D is 120Gb but want to
>> have only 20 or so Gb for Win 98, therefore leaving around 100 or so for
>> storage.
>
>> I have tried using the cmd to partition the drive deleting the old one
>> first, no success. I have tried using the Win XP interface to do so, no
>> success.
>
> What exactly are you doing within XP and what exactly happens ?
>
> Its very easy to delete what partitions are on the 120G
> drive as long as they are something that XP recognises.
>
> If XP cannot make any sense of the 120G drive, try wiping it with clearhdd
> and just create the partitions you want in XP Disk Management. Be careful
> you wipe just the 120G drive, usually best to physically unplug the boot
> drive
> and run clearhdd from a bootable floppy etc.
>
>> Can someone please tell me the best and easiest way to do this.
>
> See above.
>
>> Perhaps it would be easier to just fdisk drive D.
>
> fdisk will refuse to delete partitions it doesnt understand.
>
>> If this is the case can this be done direct through XP? If so, how,
>> please?

Thanks for that. One prob, I don't have a floppy drive. I will have to be
careful. :)

> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Borrox <Spamoff@foad.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> I wish to have a dual boot system on my computer. I currently have XP as
>>> Drive C and want to have 98 on Drive D. My drive D is 120Gb but want to have
>>> only 20 or so Gb for Win 98, therefore leaving around 100 or so for storage.
>>
>>> I have tried using the cmd to partition the drive deleting the old one
>>> first, no success. I have tried using the Win XP interface to do so, no
>>> success.
>>
>> What exactly are you doing within XP and what exactly happens ?
>>
>> Its very easy to delete what partitions are on the 120G
>> drive as long as they are something that XP recognises.
>>
>> If XP cannot make any sense of the 120G drive, try wiping it with clearhdd
>> and just create the partitions you want in XP Disk Management. Be careful
>> you wipe just the 120G drive, usually best to physically unplug the boot
>> drive
>> and run clearhdd from a bootable floppy etc.
>>
>>> Can someone please tell me the best and easiest way to do this.
>>
>> See above.
>>
>>> Perhaps it would be easier to just fdisk drive D.
>>
>> fdisk will refuse to delete partitions it doesnt understand.
>>
>>> If this is the case can this be done direct through XP? If so, how, please?
>>

> Thanks for that. One prob, I don't have a floppy drive. I will have to be
> careful. :)

Yeah, it isnt hard, it asks for confirmation twice too.

"" wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wish to have a dual boot system on my computer. I currently
> have XP as
> Drive C and want to have 98 on Drive D. My drive D is 120Gb
> but want to have
> only 20 or so Gb for Win 98, therefore leaving around 100 or
> so for storage.
> I have tried using the cmd to partition the drive deleting the
> old one
> first, no success. I have tried using the Win XP interface to
> do so, no
> success.
> Can someone please tell me the best and easiest way to do
> this. Perhaps it
> would be easier to just fdisk drive D. If this is the case can
> this be done
> direct through XP? If so, how, please?
>
> TIA
>
> Nig

First use the windows XP disk.....make 2 partitions. u dont need to
format either yet... then....insert the windows 98 disk into the cd
drive, install on drive c.....ofcorse using fat32.....as it cannot be
installed on NTFS..... after you complete installation... place xp
cd into drive and install xp on other partition. use ntfs...but
know that 98 cannot read ntfs...so you will not be able to access from
98..though u will be able to acces 98 from XP... u can install xp on
fat32, but you get no compression or security abilities...

since you want xp on c.....it may not be possible... as 98
automatically installs to c.... it wont hurt to have xp on other
partition....but use xp disk where u want partitions... or leave
space to partition later....using xp...but remember... 98 can NOT
read NTFS..... so be careful...

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/PC-Storage-Dual-Boot-XP-Win-98-ftopict58385.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=302149