Dual Boot XP and Windows 7 (each) on TWO Individual Hard Drives

james lee

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Please advise in layman terms.Thank You in advance.

Win 7(64Bit already installed-Drive C:I need this for my Internet connection)
I want to install Win XP(32Bit)in drive D(for games&others)but could not

Regards.

With Win 7 already installed on one HD drive and you want XP on 2nd.
(1) Disconnect Win 7 HDD. Connect 2nd HDD. Install WinXP.
You can now daul boot by using the Key that brings up Boot menu. (My Gigabye it is F12 and on my Asrock it is F11). Not this is not the same as going into Bios and changing boot priority).
This Method does NOT use a software boot manager that can hose both operating system up.

As To problems with XP install. XP predates your MB and probably does not have all the drivers. Also you should be using XP install disk that has at a min Service pack 1 built in, preferably SP 2. (SP3 was last service pack for XP). At a Minium you will probably need the F6 driver for the sotorage chipset - check MB manuf download page. If it is for the intel chipset you can get it from Intel (latest version I believe is 10.6). Just google Intel RST download. Select operating system (in this case XP) then select drivers, look for F6 driver.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Microsoft always recommends installing the oldest OS first. The reason is that the latest OS will preserve the setting from the older OS. If you install Windows 7 first all of your setting for Windows 7 will be overwritten, since Windows XP does not recognize the Windows 7 installation.

james lee

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

Yes,got your message.
I need the win7(Home Premium-64Bit)for the Internet connection so it has to be on drive C.
The win XP is for games(specifically for Space Cadet[pinball]unfortunately left out by microsoft which i really liked)

TQ for your advice.

james lee

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011

I shall try and follow your advice.But please advise me how to disconnect the win7 HDD(Sorry I am not technically savvy)

TQ.

(1) In My method seq of which is installed first is NOT an issue.
(2) Remove side panel of case, Locate HDD, disconnect the Data cable from the HDD (it is the shorter of the two, but if desired you can disconnect both. NOT how they are keyed (looks like an letter L laid on it's side).