Dual Boot XP/Windows 8 Dev Preview Problems

TechHunter16

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
I couldn't really find a better place than this to post this on, so this is probably the wrong place.

I am trying to dual boot XP/Win8 Dev Preview, and I've run into some problems with the BIOS. I can't seem to load into it from start up at all when I press F2 (for Set up) or F12 (for Boot Menu). But, XP still loads completely fine. I need to get into the BIOS so I can change the boot order from the hard disk to the DVD drive. Why can't I get into the BIOS, and how can I make it so I can? Is there any other way to change this setting?

TechHunter16

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
UPDATE: I can now get into the BIOS (the problem was my keyboard; it wasn't working yet at start up, so I switched to a wired one). Now the problem is that there doesn't seem to be a listing for my DVD-ROM drive in the setup utility, so I can't seem to boot from it. I can boot from my CD drive, but that doesn't support DVDs, so that doesn't really get me anywhere. Does anyone know how to put a listing for my DVD-ROM drive in?

dangerdon007

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
:hello: Hey guys i just got the solution to keep all OS and their Boot Loader after installing windows 8 Developer preview check it here how to include win XP in win 8 boot loader: http://goo.gl/6cbvF
Do share this link to all needy and win XP lover who still using Win XP ,Win 8 DP & Win 7 :bounce:

dangerdon007

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
get back your windows Xp simply do following things
1.Login to win8DP, start your Command prompt in elevated privileged mode i.e right click to run as administrator,You can find cmd.exe file in "Drive:\Windows\System32" here drive may be C,D,or E etc.
2.so go their and right click on CMD.exe to run as administrator,
3.Now type this "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} default {ntldr}" reboot your pc and You will get your Windows XP back with "Windows Earlier version option" in boot menu :) Enjoy and do reply about it

TechHunter16

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011

I believe we got the computer in 07. So yeah, that's pretty old.

MUHAMMADLM

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I am facing a huge problem on dual booting Windows 8 with Windows 7, because I can't find a menu to select the operating system and still I tried with to figure it out using the MSConfig, MS Dos and the Advance system settings, but couldn't find the Windows 7. I can still find my previous windows 7 partition with all the files and so is there any other alternatives to bring back my previous windows back? Please help me