Dual Booting Linux Mint & Win 10 HP Laptop UFEI

Joel Tyrrell

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Hi,

So here is my experience trying to dual boot Win 10 & Linux Mint on a HP Laptop.

I have a HP Envy 17 Laptop with dual Hdd's,
Replaced my main Hdd with a crucial mx300 SSD.

So i used Gparted to partition & format the drive for both installs.
I had an extreme amount of trouble getting windows installed, gpt trouble, if any secondary drive is in the pc everything goes to shit, ONLY the first hdd slot can be used to make a bootable os apparently.

So windows in installed and boots great, now i install Linux mint, everything goes to plan. I set /dev.sda2 as the boot install point.

But i cant boot to Linux, there is no mention of grub, it just boots straight to windows, even with another hdd with win 10 in the second slot which normally brings up the windows boot loader, but i get nothing at all, it still goes straight to the new win 10 install.

At this point I'm fairly lost as to what to do, tried reinstalling linux, tried some of the fixes online inside linux live cd but nothing seems to work, all the other guides are about installing windows after linux which would overwrite the grub, but in this case i have not done that.

Note: I have turned of fast boot also

TIA Guys,

Cheers,

Joel

Solution
There are many things that can go wrong.
First thing to check, if you can boot into linux when only linux disk is system. If not, probably some "secure boot" issue.
If above is fine, remember to install linux after Windows or run the grub install command after installing windows. It also requires you to set the boot drive correctly in case you are using multiple drives.
I have no Idea what and how Minst installs, but there are BIOS and UEFI layouts of partitions.

Jamlev

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2012
Have you tried looking in the Bios and selecting Ubuntu/Linux as your first boot option.

I have a similar setup and Windows often deletes/bypasses Grub and boots straight into itself, going back into Bios and resetting it resolves it and gives me the boot menu back again.

There are many things that can go wrong.
First thing to check, if you can boot into linux when only linux disk is system. If not, probably some "secure boot" issue.
If above is fine, remember to install linux after Windows or run the grub install command after installing windows. It also requires you to set the boot drive correctly in case you are using multiple drives.
I have no Idea what and how Minst installs, but there are BIOS and UEFI layouts of partitions.

Solution