Dual Booting Windows 10 and Ubuntu using 1 Storage Hard Drive and 1 SSD

hntr

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017
Hello,
I would like to preface this thread stating that I am a complete computer noob. However, I wanted to know:

I have 1 hard drive and 1 SSD installed in a laptop that runs windows 10 (there is ample amount of space on both drives). I want to try ubuntu without completely getting rid of windows, so dual booting seemed like the best option. Currently, I use my SSD to store the operating system and the hard drive to store all the files (games, documents, pictures, etc.). Is this possible to maintain this even while dual boots.

So specifically, can I have both operating systems stored on the SSD and still use the hard drive as storage IN BOTH OPERATING SYSTEMS?

Any response would be helpful!
Thanks.

Solution
Yes, this is quite easy to do. You might want to start out by downloading the Ubuntu of your choice, currently I running Ubuntu Mate 17.04 which seems pretty nice.

After that, use Rufus to create a bootable USB stick and use it in live mode to create a new partition on your SSD.

The you can format and install Ubuntu on the new partition that you just created.
Yes, this is quite easy to do. You might want to start out by downloading the Ubuntu of your choice, currently I running Ubuntu Mate 17.04 which seems pretty nice.

After that, use Rufus to create a bootable USB stick and use it in live mode to create a new partition on your SSD.

The you can format and install Ubuntu on the new partition that you just created.

Solution

hntr

Prominent
Jun 30, 2017

Thanks so much for the response!

An just to double check, this would still allow me to use the hard drive as extra storage on both operating systems?