Question Dual booting Windows 7 pro & 10 pro

rayi23

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I decided to dual boot Windows 7 pro 32bit and Windows 10 pro 32bit to just goof around on this older Dell I still have but I noticed that when I boot into Windows 10, in my Dell GX620 Pentium D, my backup IDE drive does not show up. I have 2 SSD sata drives for each system and this older Dell still has an IDE configuration to use another Hard drive which shows up in Windows 7 but not in 10. The IDE is just a 3rd drive for backup purposes.

As a side note, I still hang on to Windows 7 on several much better computers and do not prefer Windows 10 but decided to get used to Windows 10 using this dual boot configuration. I find the dual boot configuration using Windows 10 slower than when I dual booted Windows XP and Windows 7. Amazingly the SSD drives improves this Dell pentium D computer which is otherwise sluggish on regular platter hard drives. One could use this easily for basic computing. I used 32bit because I didn't want to add more memory. It only has 3 gigs of memory.

Lutfij

Titan
I've read your entire thread post but I can't seem to find your question nor a question mark. Are you asking how to regain functionality of the IDE storage drive when on Windows 10? If so, try and make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your platform. You might need to manually install the drivers for your IDE port under compatibility mode, i.e Right click installer>Compatibility tab> Windows 7(in the drop down menu).

rayi23

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I've read your entire thread post but I can't seem to find your question nor a question mark. Are you asking how to regain functionality of the IDE storage drive when on Windows 10? If so, try and make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your platform. You might need to manually install the drivers for your IDE port under compatibility mode, i.e Right click installer>Compatibility tab> Windows 7(in the drop down menu).

Yes, that is my question "how to regain use of my IDE drive in WIndows 10, while it works fine in Windows 7?" However, I did find a solution that worked by basically going to "Disk management" in Windows 10 and right clicking on the IDE Hard drive partition and click "add" to automatifcally assign another drive letter. Once I click "ok", it showed up. But I should give credit to this website: https://windowsreport.com/fix-old-hdd-not-showing-up/ . Who knows why this worked but it worked.

I've got 3 desktops with multiple boot systems, and haven't seen this problem, so I'm guessing what you had was something most of us don't encounter. Most of my Windows systems are 64 bit Windows 10, but I do have 2 with 32 bit Windows 8 installed. I have 6, 8, and 16 GB respectively and haven't seen any slowdowns, but Win 10 does use more RAM than Win 7, so I can understand how it could be slower with just 3 GB.

rayi23

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I've got 3 desktops with multiple boot systems, and haven't seen this problem, so I'm guessing what you had was something most of us don't encounter. Most of my Windows systems are 64 bit Windows 10, but I do have 2 with 32 bit Windows 8 installed. I have 6, 8, and 16 GB respectively and haven't seen any slowdowns, but Win 10 does use more RAM than Win 7, so I can understand how it could be slower with just 3 GB.

If you google it, it does occur on some computers for some reason which is easily solved by assigning a new drive letter. I have been avoiding windows 10. I used 32bit because it requires less ram. 64bit really requires 4 gb. Although, I never complained about it being slow. I actually said the opposite. I was surprised how much faster this old Pentium D is with 2 SSD drives to dual boot.

rayi23

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
If you google it, it does occur on some computers for some reason which is easily solved by assigning a new drive letter. I have been avoiding windows 10. I used 32bit because it requires less ram. 64bit really requires 4 gb. Although, I never complained about it being slow. I actually said the opposite. I was surprised how much faster this old Pentium D is with 2 SSD drives to dual boot.

I just wanted to clarify my comment, regarding Dual Booting being slower in Windows 7 and 10. I did want to add that I noticed on a computer that when I would dual boot with Windows XP and 7, it would go directly to the operating system, once you selected it; while dual booting with Windows 7 and 10, it would completely restart the computer when you chose an operating system which takes longer. That is why I was saying the "dual boot" process takes longer, then in the Windows XP and 7 dual booting. That is what I was addressing, although not really part of my original question but just an observation. I wonder why they decided to do that way?