ugean

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I currently have a Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5. I am thinking of adding/replacing this with a Sapphire Radeon 11265-05-20G PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5.

Here is what I do with it:
Four monitors
Primary-EliteDisplay E221-Sometimes used for streaming Netflix, etc and playing movies off of HDD
Secondary-Sceptre E205W
Secondary-Sceptre E205W
Secondary/TV- Samsung UN40H5003AF-Only used for streaming Netflix, etc, and playing movies off of HDD.

Would it be worth running both cards (580 in PCIE 3.0x16 slot and 270X in PCIEx8 slot)? Thinking of running the two Sceptre monitors off the older card and the two that we really watch things on from the new 580 card. Thoughts?

Also not sure I should put that much stress on the PSU. I have a TX650M PSU. By my calculations with just the 580 I'm going to need 550W. With both cards I'm going to need 700W. But I'm not sure it is really going to use that much. I don't really ever push this thing to its limits, but in the event, I did I'm not sure the PSU would hold up. and a new one is not in the budget. Thoughts?

Solution
Since you're not running them in crossfire the primary card will do all the work, the secondary card will only be used to output a signal to the monitors.

Since the RX 580 can support 4 monitors i would just hook them all up to it and not use the 270x. The 270x will only hamper air flow to the 580, draw more power for the system, and add heat to the case.
Since you're not running them in crossfire the primary card will do all the work, the secondary card will only be used to output a signal to the monitors.

Since the RX 580 can support 4 monitors i would just hook them all up to it and not use the 270x. The 270x will only hamper air flow to the 580, draw more power for the system, and add heat to the case.

Reactions: ugean
Solution

ugean

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

Thank you!