dual celeron cpu, possible?

G

i am thinking of built an affortable dual cpu pc for myself.
The Question is, is there any motherboard that will take dual celeron? Example : dual celeron 900A.

I suppose dual cpu 900 mhz is probably operate faster than any 1.2 G single cpu when running graphical files in w2k. Am I correct?

Is Celeron 900A is a 100 mhz front side bus processor?

many thanks in advance.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by newbie1001 on 01/14/02 04:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Yeah look here http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="dual+celeron"
Tom has a good little article -> <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/99q2/990510/" target="_new">Take Two</A>.

But with most applications you would have better luck using a single faster processor with more L2 cache. I would suggest a <i>AMD Athlon</i>... they are dirt cheap now!

-ryan

mala

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
There is a MB called the abit bp6 which takes dual celerons.

But, the celerons must be the the old Mendocino ones; that is the 66Mhz FSB non SSE P2-celerons running at 300-533(?) Mhz.

A great product 2 years ago, but I would stick to my single 1.2G CPU if I had one.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
You want fast but Cheap Dual system???

Tyan Tiger MP Socket A Motherboard and 2x 1GHz AMD Duron Processors........ Will work, will beat ANY single OR Dual Celeron (which dont exist over 533MHz Mendocino Core) and even if they did work the durons would throw it around like a rag dall AND the 1GHz Duron chips are less expensive than the Celery 900's... =)

check it out yourself......

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

G

i have AMD 1600XP, i find it irritated slow when come to graphical CAD design. It tooks entire 5 minites to open and run the 800 mb file.
Compare to my school mechine dual intel p3 mechine... it only takes couple or less menutes.

I am begin to wonder if i am really been sucked into the AMD marketing hype or amd XP just isn't the right processor for my duty.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Hmm, since the amd does best at cad, perhaps some other facet of your system isnt up to par.

Video? Ram?

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
how much ram does your system have? Sounds like it needs 1GB+ which is unusual outside of 'big' workstations....

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
If you have a cpu 'power' issue, what I'd recommend is:

Buy another 1600+ XP
Tyan Tiger MPX 2466N
Make sure you have a good PSU with P4 power plug
Buy 1GB registered ECC memory.

Costs will be approx. $320 for memory, $250 board and $110 for the CPU - $680+shipping and that system will take out dual 1.7G P4 rigs quite happily. It will certainly make your system at school look bad (for processing power).

However it is possible that your school machine has a professional graphics card that may make whatever you have installed look a little feeble for the job. A dual Celeron is not going to help you here either...

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

G

Are you sure AMD xp can use in dual cpu motherboard?

IO thought the one that support dual motherboard is MP series.

I have 500 meg of DDR RAM with 60 Gig meg of drive space in the system with a 1,8 gig old drive use as chache disk.

Theoritical it should beat the dual intel p3 server, but it just isn't the case. I try the games and raw datas processing, yes..it is faster in mine but just the huge graphical files i created so paintful slow.

many thanks to all of you with the knowledge input.