Question Dual channel - 2x2GB and 2x4GB

GeorgiaOverdrive

Distinguished
May 30, 2014
I have an HP 6300 which has dual channel memory, 2 slots on one (black and white) and 2 slots on the other (black and white). I have two matching sticks of 2GB and two matching sticks of 4GB. Right now I have 2x2GB in one channel and 2x4GB in the other channel, and it is working. But is this best? Would it be better to one 4GB and one 2GB on each channel?

Yes. The reason they color the slots the same color is so you know which ones the sticks should go into without needing the manual. The reason to have the same amount of ram in each channel is because the data is split to each channel. That's what the difference is from single and dual channel. If one channel has more space then it can't be split and runs in single.

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
most motherboards supports dual channel and would have 4ram slots so basically you running two dual channel setup.
so you only got to worry about Ram compatibility in a dual channel not in a quad channel.

now do you need 16gb of ram ? if yes got get another pair of 2x4gb and replace your 2x2gb. if you dont need 16gb of ram and doing fine with 12gb .. then leave your system as it is

GeorgiaOverdrive

Distinguished
May 30, 2014
most motherboards supports dual channel and would have 4ram slots so basically you running two dual channel setup.
so you only got to worry about Ram compatibility in a dual channel not in a quad channel.

now do you need 16gb of ram ? if yes got get another pair of 2x4gb and replace your 2x2gb. if you dont need 16gb of ram and doing fine with 12gb .. then leave your system as it is

I usually go with 4x4GB ot 4x8GB, but this one is for my wife. I had some sticks laying around that I thought were all 2GB but two of them were 4GB.