Dual Channel Advantage

reaper87

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I purchased a DFI LanParty UT ICFX3200-T2R/G from a private vendor, and only memory slots 1 & 2 are functional. If i place a stick in slot 3 or 4 with any configuration the board will not post. I cant RMA the board(learned my lesson), but what kind of preformance hit can i expect running my Crucial Ballistix pc6400 1x2gigs in slot 1 & 2, obviously, in single channel mode. Does anyone have a link to a test? Google let me down on this one......

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Going single to dual channel mode will net more benchmark gains. Real-life gains are somewhere under 10% overall performance.

On the other note, why don't you just RMA the motherboard? If 2 slots aren't working, then who knows what else doesn't work? It could have been burned out, etc.

A good check would be to run memtest on your RAM in different slots to determine if its the board or the RAM.

reaper87

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Id love to RMA the board....but....i cant say that i have ever RMA'ed anything. Do i contact DFI? or the store i bought it from?
The memory works fine in slots 1 and 2. but as soon as i put either stick in slot 3 or 4, nada; which makes me think its the board.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Return or exchange it to the store you bought it from. Either your RAM is bad (run memtest), or your motherboard is bad. Either way, they sold you something... BAD. You are perfectly in your rights to return it (assuming that they have a return policy and you didn't sign something to the effect that you can't return it...)

RMA usually means return to where you bought it.
Warranty means take it to the manufacturer.

I would run memtest to determine and have evidence that it is indeed the motherboard and not the RAM. Otherwise you might just waste your time.

Pinoy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
I've RMA'd a motherboard direct to manufacturer, asus in my case. They gave me a rma #, and an address to send it to. They determined the board was faulty and replaced it with a new one shipped to my door. They didn't even ask for a receipt showing I purchased it 8O

Now my board wasn't actually faulty, a failing PSU killed it, but it was free of physical damage like cracks, burns, bends etc. so it was still covered.

Bottom line, call DFI. You never know and you have nothing to lose right?