Dual channel and single possible?

psufan14

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
This may be a an obvious answer, but after seeing a few posts similar to this I can't figure out what actually happens in the following situation...

in my current PC, I am running three 1 gig sticks of ram. The motherboard is capable of dual channel, and it is enabled. All 3 sticks are the same. if I have 2 of the sticks in the 1st channel, and the 3rd stick in the 2nd channel, will the 1st 2 sticks run in dual channel, while the 3rd stick runs in single channel, or will all 3 run in single channel?

If they all run in single channel, is 3GB of ram in single channel still faster then 2GB in dual channel?

Solution
It will all be in single channel. If it's faster is dependent on what you're using the pc for. If what you're doing doesn't use 2gb then it's faster since it's dual channel. But if you're using something that uses more than 2gb, it may be faster since it has more ram.
It will all be in single channel. If it's faster is dependent on what you're using the pc for. If what you're doing doesn't use 2gb then it's faster since it's dual channel. But if you're using something that uses more than 2gb, it may be faster since it has more ram.

Solution

Latest posts