Dual Channel config question

schumi_thelegend

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Hi

I am currently using an intel core 2 duo with intel dg965 RYCK motherboard which has 4 memory slots.
i have currently installed 2 kingston 256mb (533mhz) ram modules in slot A1 and B1. i want to install 2 corsair 512 ram (667mhz) ram modules in slots A2 and B2.

My question is will this setup result in a dual channel configuration or not. Please help!!!

G

Yes it will.

And you are matching the sticks the proper way.

Remember that all the sticks will fall back to the lowest speed of them all. If you have stability issue, or part of the ram is not recognized keep the 1 gig and drop the 512, sale it or something =)

schumi_thelegend

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
oh no!!!

what do u mean stability issues. pleeeease!!! i am a non-techie user and dont want to mess us up the stability of my pc!

so u think i should buy 533mhz 1gb rams. is there much of a performance difference b/w 533 and 667?

G

As long as you keep the memory stick paired like you are about to do, it should be fine.

Some board do not like having all four DIMMs filled.

I would really doubt you get any stability issue, I was just stating that it is possible that mixing memory gives you weird result. If you get crashes and so on, then you should know where the problem is.

I suggest running Memtest for a few hours to make sure it's stable.

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
Quoting my Gigabyte Users manual:-

"Four memory modules are installed. If you install four memory modules at the same time, The Dual Channel Technology will operate only when those modules have the same memory size and type".

They would all run at the lowest speed in single channel.

So my answer to the O/P has to be no.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Depends, could be as much as double if the CPU pipeline is totally stalled, but typically only around 5% to 15% improvement.

However making 7 changes with 5% to 15% improvements can compound, so with a few tweaks you can double the performance of 'some'* PCs.

*(Usually poorly confirued, or ultra cheaps)

G

Ummm, I really thought you could run DC with different memory size.
Dont know if it is a gigabyte thing. What chipset is your motherboard?

Mondoman

Splendid
Quoting my Gigabyte Users manual:-
So my answer to the O/P has to be no.
Thanks for also posting the link to the manual of the OP's MB. The actual answer, based on that, is "yes".

Recent Intel designs are quite good about taking just about anything and having part or all of it run in dual-channel mode. Other MBs, as shown in your gigabyte manual, are not so forgiving, and some are downright hostile to dual-channel mode. Moral: read the manual for your MB.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Ummm, I really thought you could run DC with different memory size.
Dont know if it is a gigabyte thing. What chipset is your motherboard?

Running Dual-Channel with mis-matched sizes is an Intel i900 series chipset feature.

www.intel.com - under products, chipset, etc
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/p965/index.htm
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/P965/documentation.htm
- Chipset docs are typically for us techs, the main-board manual is geared towards the consumer line of thinking (confuse and baffle with 'market speak').

Don't waste time on main-board manuals, just read the i965 chipset whitepaper / techdoc from the Intel web-site, as it is a chipset specific feature you're all discussing, not a 'Main-board brand' added feature (Most brands don't really add many of their own features, Dual-BIOS / Quad-BIOS being an exception of course - 8) )

Of course in this case, it is Intel making both the main-board and the chipset on it - :oops:

:arrow: Since 100% of main-boards are built by combining chipsets it is easier to familiarise oneself with each major chipset component on the market of the day, than to try and memorise every single decent main-board currently available. - :wink:

Mondoman

Splendid
Don't waste time on main-board manuals, just read the i965 chipset whitepaper / techdoc from the Intel web-site, as it is a chipset specific feature you're all discussing, not a 'Main-board brand' added feature
However, not all MBs implement all the features of the chipset they use. For example, my notebook does not support dual-channel mode, even though the chipset does.
Knowing the chipset features is a good idea and does simplify things, but if something doesn't work on your MB, check the MB manual/manufacturer support to make sure it's actually been implemented on your MB.

schumi_thelegend

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
ok. thanks.

ive heard that a difference b/w 533 and 667 is nominal. and as i dont plan to overclock or anything, i think that value ram would be best for me.

G

For some reason I am pretty sure 800 series could do it as well, I am 90% positive my P4P800 Could do it.

Thanks for the link!, I agree that most of the stuff related to memory is chipset specific and in general in should apply unless you are alooking at super low end or super high end where mobo maker might do some tweaks either to save money or increase performance...

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
However, not all MBs implement all the features of the chipset they use. For example, my notebook does not support dual-channel mode, even though the chipset does.
Knowing the chipset features is a good idea and does simplify things, but if something doesn't work on your MB, check the MB manual/manufacturer support to make sure it's actually been implemented on your MB.

:trophy: - This reminder needs to be brought to the attention of more people, such as manufacturers and vendors of mainboards, myself included (I'll be 'borrowing' this for use in my own documents).

:wink: - Cheers

TRENDING THREADS