Question Dual channel enable on my upgrade?

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
Hi everyone.
I'm soon to swap out my old single 8gb stick of DDR3 RAM with two new sticks of 8gb. Is there somewhere in the BIOS that you need to enable dual channel or will it work simply by installing the sticks? Also, am I right in that they go in slots 2 and 4? It seems that way from the manual, as well as experience with a friend's computer build. This is my mobo number "GA-Z97M-DS3H".
Thanks for your time

Last edited by a moderator:
The instructions say “This motherboard provides four DDR3 memory sockets and supports Dual Channel Technology. After the memory is installed, the BIOS will automatically detect the specifications and capacity of the memory. ”

It also says “For optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets.” Now this is a little confusing, if you look at the motherboard diagram that is actually the 2nd and 4th slots which is normal.

I have not come across any motherboard that recommends using the 1st and 3rd slots, your friend may have the wrong or is counting from the wrong side.

Reactions: takearushfan82

takearushfan82

Honorable
Jun 10, 2017
The instructions say “This motherboard provides four DDR3 memory sockets and supports Dual Channel Technology. After the memory is installed, the BIOS will automatically detect the specifications and capacity of the memory. ”

It also says “For optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets.” Now this is a little confusing, if you look at the motherboard diagram that is actually the 2nd and 4th slots which is normal.

I have not come across any motherboard that recommends using the 1st and 3rd slots, your friend may have the wrong or is counting from the wrong side.
No, his is the 2nd and 4th too. So my assumption was right? I'm not sure why the manual contradicts itself. I think I'll go with the typical 2/4 slot configuration. The diagram was probably a fluke.

Last edited by a moderator: