dual channel expansion

ponti

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2004
Hi,

I've got an Asus A8V mobo with 4 RAM slots, two are free and I want to expand. Can i fill the other slots with single channel ram or do they have to be dual channel as well? Also, do they have to be the same kind as my original pair? The manual says 4 identical dimms at one point but also says two identical pairs at another point so I'm confused.

What are the rest of your systems stats? What type of core is your CPU (Winchester or Venice)? How much and what type of memory do you have in the system now? Why do you need the extra RAM - is there a specific application that is memory starved?

If you get more memory, then I recommend you get the same size/type/brand for the best chance at compatibility and for the modules working well together. Depending on the memory and core, the system may downclock the FSB to 333Mhz instead of the default 400Mhz. Once we have mor einfo we can help you out a little more....

ponti

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2004
I'm just building my system now, it's:

Asus A8V
Ati Radeon X800XL
Athlon 64 3800+
OCZ Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Performance (2 x 512MB)

I have some KingstonHyperX PC3200 single channel in my old system that I was thinking about using, mostly so my BF2 maps load faster. I guess maybe I won't be able to do that.

Thanks for any tips

Most modern apps can't use more than 1GB of memory. Actually, if you run too much memory (2GB where 1GB would suffice) you can inadvertently slow down system performance. Your systeem would probably see a better gain loading maps from a faster HDD than the additional memory. Take a look at getting one of the WD Raptor 72GB HDDs if you don't already have one...