Dual Channel-fix through OC?

FlenQ

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
So, I have this ancient ASUS p5ql Pro -mobo, and I recently tried to double the RAM from 4gb (2x2gb 800mhz) to 8gb (4x2gb 800mhz identical to the old ones) and started getting BSODs like no tomorrow. After a while of digging around I read that the p5ql's have issues with their dual channeling slots and won't sometimes work properly with all 4 slots filled. However I also read that some people have gotten around the BSODs by setting voltages etc for the RAM manually through bios (memory OC if I'm not as nooby as I think I am).
Is this actually possible at all and if, how do I do it? I have very little experience on the bios and OC-side of things so I'm a tad afraid to touch anything.

The only thing that amazes me is that the 2 new sticks worked fine for a solid 48hrs (under quite a heavy load since I played Tekken 7), and I rebooted twice during that 48hrs before I started getting BSODs and since then they have popped up in 5minutes tops. Currently rolling with just the 2 sticks again since it's the only pc I have around at the moment.

EDIT: Just to add, I checked all the sticks individually with memtest (12 full runs per stick) without any issues and I have a fresh clean install of win7 ulti.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the possibly broken finglish-english

A Frustrated Finn

Solution
Looks like your motherboard does not have option to change RAM voltage. There's only one thing that could affect how two kits work together:
>Go to BIOS, select AI Tweaker Menu
>Set AI Overclock Tuner to Manual
>Go to AI clock twister and change it to Light
>Save and Exit

If 'Light' setting won't do the trick, you can change it to 'Lighter'.
First thing to check would be to test if new sticks are not faulty themselves. Remove old ones and install only new, then run full round of memtest86 on them to confirm they work. Once you know they are ok, it's the time to try changing voltages.

FlenQ

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017

Sorry was editing the post on my mobile regarding memtest.

Looks like your motherboard does not have option to change RAM voltage. There's only one thing that could affect how two kits work together:
>Go to BIOS, select AI Tweaker Menu
>Set AI Overclock Tuner to Manual
>Go to AI clock twister and change it to Light
>Save and Exit

If 'Light' setting won't do the trick, you can change it to 'Lighter'.

Solution

FlenQ

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017

Will try this immediately! I'll report back as soon as I get back home from the store and checked if it works.

FlenQ

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
Ok.. 30minutes of smooth running with the light setting, have not dared to fire up tekken yet tho. Livestreams and a couple of 1080p youtube vids have not fired a bsod yet which is an improvement in itself.

I'll keep testing and will post a final result later and/or mark as resolved if that truly fixes it. If so, thank you a million for saving a noobs butt