[SOLVED] Dual channel from using 2x32gb on a max 32gb rig??

Jul 28, 2020
Hello,

Basically I replaced the ram on my Ga-Z77-D3h a few years ago, but obviously didn't do the research and bought two sticks of 32gb Corsair Xms3.

The motherboard only supports 32gb, so in order to achieve dual channel operation, should I swap these out for 2x16gb, or will the computer use 16gb from each?

I can't run the test to check as I'm waiting on a new graphics card.

Anybody have a definitive idea?

Solution
Yes, I don't see any of those kits in a 2x32GB configuration, so they must have purchased 2 separate 2x8GB kits, and while the chances of them not working together because of it being two separate not matched kits increases, it's probably worth at least trying them together to see if they will play nice.

Also, that board does not have integrated graphics. It has support for CPUs with integrated graphics, but it depends on what CPU model they have because it also supports CPU models that do NOT have integrated graphics, and we've seen a LOT of people on these older platforms running Xeons so it's probably best to KNOW what they are running before saying that it DOES have it, because it might not.
32gb Corsair Xms3 is kit of 4x8GB modules. Not single 32GB module.
If you bought 2 kits, then one will be extra, because motherboard has 4 slots only.

BTW - your motherboard supports integrated graphics (built into cpu). So you can test your system without discrete graphics card.

Last edited:
Yes, I don't see any of those kits in a 2x32GB configuration, so they must have purchased 2 separate 2x8GB kits, and while the chances of them not working together because of it being two separate not matched kits increases, it's probably worth at least trying them together to see if they will play nice.

Also, that board does not have integrated graphics. It has support for CPUs with integrated graphics, but it depends on what CPU model they have because it also supports CPU models that do NOT have integrated graphics, and we've seen a LOT of people on these older platforms running Xeons so it's probably best to KNOW what they are running before saying that it DOES have it, because it might not.

Solution
Jul 28, 2020
Hey, so, it's a i7-3700, but in terms of the ram, I have two sticks of 32gb (4x8gb) XMS3 CMX32GX3M4A1600C11.

I can't remember where I bought the 2 sticks from, but they weren't in a kit of 4.

Jul 28, 2020
So you see,at the time I obviously thought (wrongly) that it could support 64gb.

So, having 2x32 sticks as stated, are you saying that I'm getting 16gb actual performance-- as it supports 8gb modules?

Silly me.
Off to ebay I go...

bignastyid

Titan
Hey, so, it's a i7-3700, but in terms of the ram, I have two sticks of 32gb (4x8gb) XMS3 CMX32GX3M4A1600C11.

I can't remember where I bought the 2 sticks from, but they weren't in a kit of 4.

That is not 2 sticks. The part number is for a kit comprised of 4 8gb dimms totalling 32gb(that is what that 4x8gb means).
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/XMS3-—-32GB-(4x8GB)-DDR3-1600MHz-C11-Memory-Kit/p/CMX32GX3M4A1600C11
If you bought two of those kits you'd have 8 dimms. If somebody broke the kit up and sold you 2 dimms then you'd have a total of 16Gb(2x8gb).

Jul 28, 2020
Ah OK... That explains a lot, thanks for the clarification. So I wasn't a complete fool in the past.
One further question, if I want to upgrade to 32GB, do I have to purchase the exact same brand of Ram?

bignastyid

Titan
Ah OK... That explains a lot, thanks for the clarification. So I wasn't a complete fool in the past.
One further question, if I want to upgrade to 32GB, do I have to purchase the exact same brand of Ram?
Yes, but it may still have issues. Ram is sold it kits to ensure compatibility, mixing ram(even ones of the same series) isn't guaranteed, so it may run slower(jedec speeds) or not at all.

Also, it's an i7-3770, not an i7-3700. There aren't any i7-3700's.

As for the memory, if you READ the following guide it might help to answer some of your questions.