[SOLVED] Dual Channel Help

Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
I have a Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 motherboard. I never really thought about dual channel, but I just rebuilt the PC in a new case and came across the concept of dual channel.

So my motherboard looks like this https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170MX-Gaming-5-rev-10#ov as you can see there are 2 black and 2 red sockets. From left to right as you can see it is Black/Red/Black/Red and left to right labeled DDR 4(black)/2(red)/3(black)/1(red).

I have 2x8GB ram sticks. From what I understand if you want to get dual channel running you need to put the two sticks in the same color sockets like red/red or black/black. However the only way my computer will start up is if I orient them in slot 1(red) and slot 3(black) or the two right most slots. The computer will not boot up with any other combination of placement of the sticks.

If I open up CPU-Z it lists "Channel # Single" under memory. How can I get dual channel to actually work?

Solution
well, you should use those red slots when using only two ram modules
as for loosing some memory channels, that could means your cpu is not seating properly, reseating CPU usualy solves that