Question Dual Channel Memory Not working

Dec 18, 2021
So today I finally got my hands on an RTX 3060. I put it into my PC and decided that I would clean my case out while I was at it. I ended up taking off my CPU Fan and the CPU stuck to the heatsink when I pulled up. I looked over the CPU pins and they all looked fine, and I have a Ryzen CPU so I didn't think it's a big deal. After I installed it all back, I tried to power on my PC and it would power up but it wouldn't boot. I ended up messing with some different parts and eventually figured out that it was my ram. All of a sudden the PC won't boot with 2 sticks of ram in, but it will boot with 1. I have tried messing with the XMP in bios, using different DIMM slots, checking the CPU pins, loosening the CPU heatsink, putting the old GPU back in, updating the bios, and have ran memtest86 on both sticks of ram. Keep in mind that yesterday both sticks of RAM were working fine in dual channel. I have tried everything and any help would be appreciated.

MB: Gigabyte B450M DS3H v1
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Memory: ADATA XPG GAMMIX D30 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC

So today I finally got my hands on an RTX 3060. I put it into my PC and decided that I would clean my case out while I was at it. I ended up taking off my CPU Fan and the CPU stuck to the heatsink when I pulled up. I looked over the CPU pins and they all looked fine, and I have a Ryzen CPU so I didn't think it's a big deal. After I installed it all back, I tried to power on my PC and it would power up but it wouldn't boot. I ended up messing with some different parts and eventually figured out that it was my ram. All of a sudden the PC won't boot with 2 sticks of ram in, but it will boot with 1. I have tried messing with the XMP in bios, using different DIMM slots, checking the CPU pins, loosening the CPU heatsink, putting the old GPU back in, updating the bios, and have ran memtest86 on both sticks of ram. Keep in mind that yesterday both sticks of RAM were working fine in dual channel. I have tried everything and any help would be appreciated.

MB: Gigabyte B450M DS3H v1
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Memory: ADATA XPG GAMMIX D30 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 XC
the only way you could test it after this much you told us, is to bring it to local pc shop or technician to test with their cpu on your mobo, and your cpu on their mobo, and see which is the culprit.

Reactions: d0x360

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Koekieeze is right. It could be either component unfortunately. It could be a bad pin on the CPU that's connected to the IMC or it could be where the pin goes on the motherboard.

I know it doesn't help now but...next time try sliding a credit card or something about that thick under the cold plate and kinda...push the dried out paste until it gives and then remove the cooler.

You never wanna tug really hard on the CPU. It and the socket are fairly sturdy in some ways but easy to break in others..

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Because my friend experienced the same issues, with his 3300x and b550m mortar. after what me and my friend (hes good at amd stuff) discussed after we tried to fix the most possible causes with our knowledge, either his (my other friend) motherboard, cpu, or gpu causes it. Put it at PCIE 4.0 mode for his 3060Ti, boom it wont work with dual channel on any slot, put it on 3.0, boom it worked. So now he's running 3060ti in his 3300x setup, since his 750Ti worked very fine in his pc without bsods and stuffs, thingking that it might be the gpu early batch faulty, his cpu faulty, or the motherboards faulty, either the PCIE 4.0 is immature/bad batch in his, or the reason i told above.