Dual Channel Memory/Single Channel

Does this make a difference? How does it work? New computer I am
thinking of buying comes with 512 memory. Criticism was that it is not
dual channel. I thought 512 was plenty. Thanks, Ron
(ront2@socal.rr.com)

On 25 Apr 2004 16:35:27 -0700, ront2@socal.rr.com (ront2) wrote:

>Does this make a difference? How does it work? New computer I am
>thinking of buying comes with 512 memory. Criticism was that it is not
>dual channel. I thought 512 was plenty. Thanks, Ron
>(ront2@socal.rr.com)

We may need more details of the system to know if the difference is
significant.

Motherboards with integrated video do generally benefit a LOT from dual
channel mode. Intel Celeron/P4 benefit much less but still it's
worthwhile. nForce chipset boards benefit less but still a few percent.

Another issue is whether the 512MB was as a single module or two 256MB
modules. Personally I'd rather receive a machine with a single 512MB
module running in single-channel mode than a machine with 2 x 256MB
modules in dual channel, because if you ever wanted to upgrade memory and
run in dual channel mode you'd only have to buy 1 x 512MB module opposed
to 2 x 512MB modules.

Dual channel gives your system more data transfer, while single channel
gives less. It may be important or not depending in how the system is used.

go to www.kingston.com to learn about it.

Silva

512MB of dual channel memory will run noticeably faster than 512MB of single
channel memory. But the matched dual channel memory sticks cost more.

--
DaveW

"ront2" <ront2@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Does this make a difference? How does it work? New computer I am
> thinking of buying comes with 512 memory. Criticism was that it is not
> dual channel. I thought 512 was plenty. Thanks, Ron
> (ront2@socal.rr.com)

Check this out: http://www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRwhitepaper.pdf

BBoppie