Dual channel memory with Ryzen 5

Jul 27, 2018
I recently built my computers a few months ago (see parts list for more info https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Henry147/saved/cFTzYJ )
But when I built this every dollar counted so I cheeped out on a lot of things incuding ram and the motherboard. I know how much memory bandwidth matters especially for the zen architecture and I wanted to know if I could run a faster spec ram 3000mhz in one slot and it still be in dual channel. Also does the ram mauafacture have to be the same for it to run in dual channel? If I can’t run faster ram then I can just buy a second stick of 2400mhz ram but I want to know if I could run faster, better ram.

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
The manufacturer doesn't necessarily have to be the same (Though the speed should, otherwise you'll have to limit one stick to accommodate for the other), but they should be using the same chip (So, if one stick has Samsung B-die, the other should, too).

racksmith101

Respectable
Always buy memory in kits don't mix and match memory from different manufacturers, ram speeds or different sized modules, generally it's the only way you can ensure that the sticks will work properly together. If you want to upgrade your memory then buy a 16gb kit 2x8 and sell your old one to recoup some of the money.

TRENDING THREADS