Dual channel mode errors, system hang when closing or opening apps at random

Apr 18, 2018
Hi, I recently just built a new PC. Was getting errors in event viewer and apps would hang or freeze when I try closing them. I ran Intel diagnostic tool for my processor and it passed with one loop. Didn't continue loop as I figure the errors would come easily if there were any. So I ran memtest and got no errors. Enabled xmp and got hundreds of errors. Today I tested each stick individually at 4 passes with xmp on with first channel. All passed. So decided to do dual with only two sticks, failed within an hour. 1000 plus errors. Both sticks we're in correct dimm slots.

My question is is this a motherboard issue? memory issue.? Or possibly a cpu issue? Or possibly a chipset issue? Also what actions would I take/info would I need to make sure I could get an RMA
for my merch. Never had to do an RMA as this only my second build. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

System:
MSI Z370 GAMING M5
I7-8700K @ BASE CLOCK
CORSAIR LPX (4*8)32GB 3000MHZ CL15
CORSAIR CM750W
GTX 1080 SC

Apr 18, 2018
Seems one of the dimm slots may be defective on my motherboard, going to rma and if the problem persists then I am going to assume it's the cpu. All ram sticks passed individual testing on channel on slot one but failed channel two slot 1 and passed channel 2 slot 2. Pretty frustrating took me all week to find the problem. Lol.