Question Dual-channel mode produces hardware reserved memory if [Ryzen 2700x + MSIx570]?

Jul 20, 2022
Data picture
I got 64Gb in 4 sticks, and every time I get dual-channel (using 32, 48, or 64), it produces the effect of having half of that dual-channel Ram memory reserved. Well, to be precise, when is 48 reserves only 16Gb, but still in dual channel.

I have read many posts on the internet, but it seems to be always a problem with Ryzen 2700x and dual-channel for some motherboards. In a forum, a guy says that the problem is also something related to ram power (or power configuration), and another post was proposing overclocking or doing full XMP to make the rams work.

I use MSI x570 gaming edge with 64GB Ram and when I had only 2 sticks of ram (32GB but single channel) it worked as a charm. I checked 2 different single-channel configurations.

I have already done everything related to windows (boot, system configuration, register editor, filepage, etc.), memory health check, checking the physical status of the hardware, and some random things that I reversed immediately after the test.

In the Bios setup, I didn't find the option of "Memory Map" or something similar and I am really afraid to change any voltages/frequency because, actually, the PC is working very well using just 32GB. I bought the extra 32 GB because I wanted to keep working in After Effects and searching on the internet at the same time I was exporting video in Adobe Premiere, at a faster speed maybe (I know the best thing to speed things up would be to improve the processor, but that's not an option for me at the moment.

And yes, every memory stick is exactly the same, etc.

Thank you very much if you have any comments!

Last edited:
I got 64Gb in 4 sticks, and every time I get dual-channel (using 32, 48, or 64), it produces the effect of having half of that dual-channel Ram memory reserved. Well, to be precise, when is 48 reserves only 16Gb, but still in dual channel.

I have read many posts on the internet, but it seems to be always a problem with Ryzen 2700x and dual-channel for some motherboards. In a forum, a guy says that the problem is also something related to ram power (or power configuration), and another post was proposing overclocking or doing full XMP to make the rams work.

I use MSI x570 gaming edge with 64GB Ram and when I had only 2 sticks of ram (32GB but single channel) it worked as a charm. I checked 2 different single-channel configurations.

I have already done everything related to windows (boot, system configuration, register editor, filepage, etc.), memory health check, checking the physical status of the hardware, and some random things that I reversed immediately after the test.

In the Bios setup, I didn't find the option of "Memory Map" or something similar and I am really afraid to change any voltages/frequency because, actually, the PC is working very well using just 32GB. I bought the extra 32 GB because I wanted to keep working in After Effects and searching on the internet at the same time I was exporting video in Adobe Premiere, at a faster speed maybe (I know the best thing to speed things up would be to improve the processor, but that's not an option for me at the moment.

And yes, every memory stick is exactly the same, etc.

Thank you very much if you have any comments!
It's a common problem when using ram that does come as a kit.

Try getting the proper bios.

Jul 20, 2022

But that's the thing...I actually bought the first 2 sticks of corsair vengeance RAM, which presented the same dual-channel problem. 1 year later bought the second pair (2 identical sticks of ram, same model), and again there's an equal issue: dual-channel not working properly. That's why I have thought that the problem is the combo MOBo-Rizen 2700x. Because I read several other cases on many forums, with different ram brands and models.

I have tried a couple of things regarding the possible BIOS solution but since I put the 64GB again, the BIOS can not recognize any bootable file in the flash drive. I found that this last issue is supposed to be related to Corsair restricting access to updating....:oops:o_O💫:fearscream:....that sounds too strange to me...

But that's the thing...I actually bought the first 2 sticks of corsair vengeance RAM, which presented the same dual-channel problem. 1 year later bought the second pair (2 identical sticks of ram, same model), and again there's an equal issue: dual-channel not working properly. That's why I have thought that the problem is the combo MOBo-Rizen 2700x. Because I read several other cases on many forums, with different ram brands and models.
Did you buy a kit that contained 2 sticks or did you buy 2 separate sticks?

Did you check for the proper bios?

Jul 20, 2022
Did you buy a kit that contained 2 sticks or did you buy 2 separate sticks?

Did you check for the proper bios?

I bought the 2 sticks together on Amazon. And 1 year later I bought the same exact pair again from the same Amazon seller. Reference:

CMK32GX4M2D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4-24000) C16 1.35V

The MSI x570 gaming edge webpage says it should work. On the Amazon page, I'm seeing contradictory opinions: somebody said that this ram was compatible with Ryzen 7 2700x but later another person said it was not optimized for this processor. Here I putting some data in picture: Data picture

Regarding BIOS, I finally could perform the updating process. My PC was working inside the MS-7C37 mobo ensemble with the bios version v1F (which actually solved a big instability last year), but I updated the bios as soon as I saw your suggestion. Now it has the v1I version, but nothing changed about the ram issue.

If your 2 or 4 sticks of memory was not tested and packaged at the factory in a single package it is NOT matched memory and is absolutely NOT guaranteed to work together in dual channel mode. It doesn't matter that part numbers match. We see this here every single day. Just look around. Your system is no different than any of those that also have problems.

Jul 20, 2022
They came packed together in a single package at the factory. The seller was the official Corsair one. That's why any of them work properly in a single-channel configuration, no matter what stick I choose. It always works...until goes to dual-channel. At that moment, in those cases, a part of the memory is reserved. I have seen this behavior in other posts, but people normally decide to change the processor or the MOBO. I can not do that...no more money for another parts here 😅

I am using the PC right now, with 4x16GB=64GB connected and recognizable by windows, cpu-z, etc, but with 32.1GB of hardware-reserved memory. It works fine with premiere exporting, 200 tabs of chrome, and a couple more programs, but without using the 64GB...which I theorize would have helped me to be able to use After Effects at the same time (I use 2 big monitors).

I'm thinking of returning the extra RAM to Corsair, or maybe putting some kind of request to Corsari, MSI, or Ryzen for info/solutions...any suggestions?

Last edited:
They came packed together in a single package at the factory. The seller was the official Corsair one. That's why any of them work properly in a single-channel configuration, no matter what stick I choose. It always works...until goes to dual-channel. At that moment, in those cases, a part of the memory is reserved. I have seen this behavior in other posts, but people normally decide to change the processor or the MOBO. I can not do that...no more money for another parts here 😅

I am using the PC right now, with 4x16GB=64GB connected and recognizable by windows, cpu-z, etc, but with 32.1GB of hardware-reserved memory. It works fine with premiere exporting, 200 tabs of chrome, and a couple more programs, but without using the 64GB...which I theorize would have helped me to be able to use After Effects at the same time (I use 2 big monitors).

I'm thinking of returning the extra RAM to Corsair, or maybe putting some kind of request to Corsari, MSI, or Ryzen for info/solutions...any suggestions?
If you use just the first kit of ram installed in the proper slots....see the manual.....windows shows 16GB usable and 16GB reserved.

Is that correct?

Does memtest86 test 32GB error free?

Jul 20, 2022
Answers:
1.) Using the first kit, only if I put them in the dual-channel slots, then I get the 16GB usable and 16GB reserved.
2.) If I use the slots for single-channel, they work fine and I get 32GB of usable memory. The same happen when I use the second kit.
3.) I have not run memtest86...I'm currently using the PC a lot for work. I could give it a try in a few days.

brianseabury2

Honorable
Nov 26, 2017
thats because the integrated graphics reserve memory for the igpu and it ensures that it works well. your ram will work fine once it parts it out messing with that will decrease performance. but the igpu should be reserving memory even in single channel. half of the memory in the system is accessible to integrated graphics. in some systems 2gb is reserved for it.

thats because the integrated graphics reserve memory for the igpu and it ensures that it works well. your ram will work fine once it parts it out messing with that will decrease performance. but the igpu should be reserving memory even in single channel. half of the memory in the system is accessible to integrated graphics. in some systems 2gb is reserved for it.
The OP has a Ryzen 2700x . That CPU does not have an iGPU

Jul 20, 2022
Memtest86: Passed. I finally found the time to run all the 14 tests (they added the last one as a beta additional test, called "DMA"). The thing is: 0 errors. It seems my memories and slots are good, but there's a compatibility issue between THIS particular RAM model, the Ryzen 2700x processor y my MSI x570 Gaming Edge when everything is operating in a dual channel. Any possible solutions?

Memtest86: Passed. I finally found the time to run all the 14 tests (they added the last one as a beta additional test, called "DMA"). The thing is: 0 errors. It seems my memories and slots are good, but there's a compatibility issue between THIS particular RAM model, the Ryzen 2700x processor y my MSI x570 Gaming Edge when everything is operating in a dual channel. Any possible solutions?
Work with one kit of ram.
Fit the sticks in the proper slots for dual channel......A2/B2....see the manual.
Post a screenshot from task manager/perf/memory.

Jul 20, 2022
Thank you....that was the first thing I did: the proper slots for dual channel. I did it exactly like in the manual; the issue showed every time. After that, I did all the possible combinations for 2 sticks and for the 4 sticks (12 and 24 configurations). That was a year and a half ago, and later a couple of weeks ago.

(about the screenchot) I've been trying! For some reason, I can not upload any pictures...I have been clicking the picture icon but it asks for a website HTTPS address.

Thank you....that was the first thing I did: the proper slots for dual channel. I did it exactly like in the manual; the issue showed every time. After that, I did all the possible combinations for 2 sticks and for the 4 sticks (12 and 24 configurations). That was a year and a half ago, and later a couple of weeks ago.

(about the screenchot) I've been trying! For some reason, I can not upload any pictures...I have been clicking the picture icon but it asks for a website HTTPS address.
Send the screenshot to imgur.com and then post a link.

TRENDING THREADS