Dual channel not working on Asus M4N98TD evo motherboard

tylerr64

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hello,

I recently purchased some new ram for my pc. Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) The ID is cmz8gx3m2a1600c9. After installing it my motherboard gave me some bios beeps about 1 and half seconds long and they continued till I powered it off.

I checked the qvl list and I guess it isn't compatible with my board no big deal. So I put my old ram back in and now dual channel seems to not be working only one stick of ram is showing up. My old ram is this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276

Can any help me please?

My pc specs are

Amd phenom black edition 965 x4 (3.4ghz)
M4N98Td asus evo motherboard
EVGA superclocked gtx 460 fermi EE
550 Watt intel power supply

ZeroWhite

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
First off NVIDIA chipsets are the definition of picky, The motherboard may have found the dual channel configuration to be unstable and went to single channel to attempt to run the corsair memory again. I read through the manual and a few recommendations I noticed were make sure the RAM sticks are located in your Blue DIMM slots, The BIOS does not have a clear cut option for dual channel but making sure "DCT Unganged Mode" is set to "Always" is a good way to force it. Also for why your new RAM may have not worked in the first place, Make sure you do not have the timings manually set for the RAM, If you do the 7-7-7-21 timings for your G.Skill are probably too aggressive for your Corsair @ stock voltage which will make it fail during POST. Just a idea though. If this is the case make sure to switch the latencies to 9-9-9-24 before putting in the new RAM.

tylerr64

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Well I can't get the new Corsair ram to work so I justn popped my old Gskill ram back in and only one stick is showing up. I no longer care about the Corsair working just trying to get my old stuff to work.

I'm gonna try setting ''DCT unganged mode'' to ''Always'' Where may I find this option?

Thank you for the help running on only 2gb's of ram is killing me... :/

ZeroWhite

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Ah I'm sorry I did not clearly read that only one stick of RAM is showing up. The number one cause of this is the memory not being seated correctly into the slot so just make sure you take out the RAM sticks and seat them properly in their slots, and if that doesn't work one of the slots may have failed, when you test out different slots make sure the sticks are in color matching slots.

ZeroWhite

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
The last idea I really have towards this issue is to take out both sticks of ram, attempt to POST the board with no ram (trying to clear the RAM configuration) after it beeps at you a few times shut it off then reinsert the RAM and see what it does from there.

ZeroWhite

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Make sure system is powered off, Remove RAM, Power On the system and wait for it to beep at you a few times for not having RAM installed, Shut off the system, Insert RAM in slots 1 and 3 (slot 1 being closest to the CPU and slot 4 being the furthest) Turn on the system and see if all your ram is there, if not shut down and put RAM in slots 2 and 4 and test again. I wish you luck!

ZeroWhite

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
No problem and no it should not break your system at all as long as you have no power going to the system when you keep swapping around your RAM sticks and making sure your not to rough on the slots when you go to reseat your RAM.

tylerr64

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Okay I tried the memory wipe and that did nothing. But I did notice something pop up in my bios before booting it says that ''overclocking has failed'' Just wondering if that has something to do with the dual channel? I tried the black slots and now the ram works in the black slots but its still in single channel. I tested out the ram so its not the ram nor the slots since now I'm using the black slots which I have never used before. I'm running out of idea's GAH!!

Flazh

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Try reflashing your bios. Even to the same version. Just make sure u do it under bios not some windows apps. I know how strange it sounds but it helped me. And i had similiar problems to Yours.

tylerr64

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I have no idea how to reflash my bios. I've exhausted all options here so I'm just gonna take my pc into a shop to get it looked at. Thank you all for the advice and help.

Cheers!