Dual channel not working

igothaxlol

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
I recently added some new part to my computer and decided to upgrade my 8gb stick too 2 8 gb stick. I found the exact same stick I bought on Amazon which was a 8gb 2666 MHz ballistix sport and noticed that the red one which I originally bought was more expensive than the grey one. So I decided to purchase the great one instead ( exact same stick just a different color). I looked through my motherboard manual before putting both the sticks in the A2 and B2 slots on my ab350 pro4 motherboard. But when I booted into Windows task manager was showing only 8 gb available and the other 8 unavailable ( it was called hardware something). I than restarted and checked my bios and saw that both sticks were shown up but in single channel mode. So after digging around saw that it could be that my memory speeds are not right so I checked and the 2666 memory was at 2400 so when I changed it and rebooted my computer would star up and shut off about 3 times before resetting my bios settings to default. So it must of been a problem with me changing the ram speeds. After digging around more I found it could be my motherboard version wasn't up to date so I went threw that process and updated it to the latest version but still couldn't change my memory speeds or get the memory to run in dual channel. A lot of ppl who had similar problems were told it could be a broken memory stick or motherboard problem. ( which I hope it isn't cause I don't have the money to replace them) so I am at a problem here. My computer works fine but I just can't use my other 8gb stick of ram. I also ran cpu z which also showed both ram sticks as working. I could really use the help

Solution
again, the problem is that they aren't from the same "batch" and are subtly different. Trying to do what you are doing has become harder and harder recently, and I don't even bother trying anymore. If I want to upgrade RAM, I just buy the amount I want to buy, packaged in pairs (or quads if I'm really going big...) and then sell the old stuff. Like I said above, good used RAM is bringing almost-new prices on eBay.

gigantusmagnus

Reputable
Dec 22, 2017
please make it into paragraphs, kinda hard reading

basically, by mixing 2 RAM from different kits is gambling

if it success, the faster RAM will match its speed to the slower RAM, no matter what you do, you cannot exceed the slower RAM maximum speed
if it fails, well,, various error

and this A2 B2 slot? do you mean slot 2 4 or 3 4?

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
yeah, ouch...I'm guessing that you will probably never get those 2 sticks to play nicely together. Always better to sell off the old, odd stick on eBay (they're bringing great prices) and buy a matched pair for yourself.

mazboy

Commendable
Dec 28, 2017
again, the problem is that they aren't from the same "batch" and are subtly different. Trying to do what you are doing has become harder and harder recently, and I don't even bother trying anymore. If I want to upgrade RAM, I just buy the amount I want to buy, packaged in pairs (or quads if I'm really going big...) and then sell the old stuff. Like I said above, good used RAM is bringing almost-new prices on eBay.

Solution