Question Dual channel on a latitude 5480

Nov 30, 2022
so my laptop is used for light gaming even then my games seem to lag a bit and have a few stutters and I saw that my ram is in single instead of dual channel how would I enable this.
I have found out how to open the bios but I cant seem to find how to enable dual channel any ideas?

There is no way to "enable" dual channel. Dual channel memory operation happens when there are two DIMMs that are fully compatible with each other are installed in a motherboard that has dual channel support capability. If there is a DIMM installed in each channel, which for boards with only two DIMM slots generally means one DIMM in each slot, or in the correct slots on a motherboard with four DIMM slots, which is generally going to be the A2 and B2 slots if only two DIMM are used (Or at least matching DIMMs in those slots and then matching DIMMs in the remaining two DIMM slots if four DIMMs are used).

So without at least two memory modules installed, regardless of what type of motherboard it is, you can't have dual channel operation as there needs to be at least one DIMM installed in each memory channel slot. If your laptop has two DIMM slots, then you'll need to source another identical DIMM or at least one with specs that are as exactly the same as possible, and install that, and then it should automatically run in dual channel. In some cases you might have to reset the BIOS to get it to make the change but for laptops usually not, unlike many desktop boards.

In any case, dual channel is not a "setting" and cannot be "enabled" or "disabled". You either meet the criteria and it works, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then you have to figure out why but if you have two DIMMs installed, it should.

Nov 30, 2022
There is no way to "enable" dual channel. Dual channel memory operation happens when there are two DIMMs that are fully compatible with each other are installed in a motherboard that has dual channel support capability. If there is a DIMM installed in each channel, which for boards with only two DIMM slots generally means one DIMM in each slot, or in the correct slots on a motherboard with four DIMM slots, which is generally going to be the A2 and B2 slots if only two DIMM are used (Or at least matching DIMMs in those slots and then matching DIMMs in the remaining two DIMM slots if four DIMMs are used).

So without at least two memory modules installed, regardless of what type of motherboard it is, you can't have dual channel operation as there needs to be at least one DIMM installed in each memory channel slot. If your laptop has two DIMM slots, then you'll need to source another identical DIMM or at least one with specs that are as exactly the same as possible, and install that, and then it should automatically run in dual channel. In some cases you might have to reset the BIOS to get it to make the change but for laptops usually not, unlike many desktop boards.

In any case, dual channel is not a "setting" and cannot be "enabled" or "disabled". You either meet the criteria and it works, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then you have to figure out why but if you have two DIMMs installed, it should.
yes i made sure i have 2 dimms and i have both installed so i guess i need to restart my bios?

What are the exact models of both DIMMs that are installed?

What is the EXACT model of your laptop, including the submodel and/or express service tag number?

You can TRY simply loading the default or optimal default values in the BIOS, and that might work, but in some cases you have to actually jump through a few more hoops. In some cases this might mean disconnecting the CMOS battery and pressing the power button to discharge any residual power remaining, then reconnecting it and loading the default options.

In other cases it might be necessary to simply remove both DIMMs, then power on, then power off and reinstall both DIMM and then power back on.

But it could also be that the DIMMs might not want to "play nice" together if they did not both come together in one kit. That is the only way memory is ever actually guaranteed to be compatible with other memory, is when it comes together, as it will have been tested for full compatibility at the factory. On laptops this usually isn't as common of a problem as it is on desktops but it varies from brand to brand and generation to generation.