Question Dual channel on quad channel board?

Jul 2, 2019
Hello guys

I got a little question to ask regarding a set of RAM sticks. I have aquired an old Alienware Aurora R4 but it came with non-working memory. An old kit with 4X2GB sticks in it. I ordered some new ones, but when I did I didn't realise that it was actually quad channel/4 sticks that were being used, so I ordered simple dual channel sticks, 2X8GB. I thought it could work either way, but it still wont boot when i plug them in.

So now I ask, is this possible to get to work or do i have to find a 4X4GB kit?

Jul 2, 2019
It didn't boot with the old ram. Or well it booted, everything seemed to be running find, but I could get no picture on my monitor. Whether I used DP, HDMI or DVI port.
I had it tested by the local PC-shop and they found out it was broken ram that caused the problem. I ordered the new kit and installed it. Im not sure of the exact models but I dont think it have been altered since its birth.
The new ram is G.Skill Ripjaws-X 1600MHz 2X8GB kit.

G-Skill RAM Configurator is sadly lacking, I was looking for some memory for an old board a while back and I had to email them to find a compatible module. There is two types of DDR3 low density (Double sided chips) and Hi density , it is cheaper to make the high density. Some boards require the low density if the module is 4GB or higher. The don't hardly make the low density anymore.
I looked at the memory finder at new egg and it showed 8GB Dell memory that chips on both sides , Look under the heat spreaders on the G-skill and if you don't have chips on both sides it will never work!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019
Hmm. So that means I'm never gonna get my dual channel ram working on this system? Shame..

Can I boot with 1,2 or 3 sticks of ram with the old ones as long as they are working? Is this doing it in slot 1 and just starting with the first and then continue on?