[SOLVED] Dual channel or quad channel for ryzen 5 3600x

Apr 22, 2020
Hey guys. I recently built a pc and i was was wondering if im better off running 2 sticks of ram or 4. I have a thing for rgb and having 2 sticks of rgb ram while 2 slots are empty is kind of ticking me off. My cpu is a ryzen 5 3600x. Mobo is Strix rog x470-f and my ram is corsair vengeance rgb pro running at 3200mhz. Samsung B-die btw. Im also getting an rtx 2070s soon. So will 2 sticks of ram be better or 4?

Solution
With this type of setup 4 sticks is still only dual channel, all AM4 CPU’s only supports dual channel but you can have 2 dims/sticks per channel. 4 sticks can perform slightly faster at a given speed but is also more likely to have issues running at higher speeds and as a result it’s recommended to stay with 2 sticks to avoid issues. Do you have 2 sticks already? If you were going 4 the RAM should be bought as a matched kit to avoid compatibility issues, buying the exact same make and model does not guarantee you can mix kits without issue.

However Corsair do these dummy RGB sticks https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Memory/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-RGB-PRO-Light-Enhancement-Kit/p/CMWLEKIT2
2 sticks, the CPU doesn´t use quad channel, only dual channel and may lower frequency of the RAM if more than two sticks are used

be sure the BIOS of the motherboard is up to date or at least version 4804, or the system won´t post. If so, you would need a compatible CPU (2nd or 1st gen Ryzen) to flash the motherboard to work with the 3600X

With this type of setup 4 sticks is still only dual channel, all AM4 CPU’s only supports dual channel but you can have 2 dims/sticks per channel. 4 sticks can perform slightly faster at a given speed but is also more likely to have issues running at higher speeds and as a result it’s recommended to stay with 2 sticks to avoid issues. Do you have 2 sticks already? If you were going 4 the RAM should be bought as a matched kit to avoid compatibility issues, buying the exact same make and model does not guarantee you can mix kits without issue.

However Corsair do these dummy RGB sticks https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-|-Parts/PC-Components/Memory/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-RGB-PRO-Light-Enhancement-Kit/p/CMWLEKIT2

Solution
Apr 22, 2020

Wow. You just solved my rgb issue. Thanks alot. Ill be buying the dummy sticks instead, and yea. I already have 2 sticks. If i switch to 4. Ill buy a new kit. Thanks once again

Apr 22, 2020
2 sticks, the CPU doesn´t use quad channel, only dual channel and may lower frequency of the RAM if more than two sticks are used

be sure the BIOS of the motherboard is up to date or at least version 4804, or the system won´t post. If so, you would need a compatible CPU (2nd or 1st gen Ryzen) to flash the motherboard to work with the 3600X
Thanks for letting me know. And about the bios, my mobo came ryzen 3000 ready out the box.

Apr 22, 2020
Glad to hear :)
There are some stock boards which are not, just wanted you to know the BIOS "problem" with 3rd gen Ryzen and "older" chipsets like the x470
Yes. Ive decided that ill keep my 16gb ram and buy a light enhancement kit. In the future. Ill buy a 32gb kit with 2 sticks and keep the light enhancement kit. So i dont have to worry about dual or quad channel lol. I signed up for toms hardware today just to ask this question. Im not disappointed :)

Reactions: helpstar

TRENDING THREADS