[SOLVED] Dual Channel or Quad for PC gaming?

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I plan to get ASUS ROG STRIX GAMING Z390 motherboard, I wanted a z370 but decided 390. And I would like to know if Dual Channel is the smartest way to go with or quad channel? I was told Dual Channel is best because it's best to stick with what the specifications say. I plan to get Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3200mhz instead of Trident brand because it benches well on user benchmark site.

Solution

4 DIMMs will provide equal or lower performance than 2. Many...

kanewolf

Titan
The number of memory channels is determined by the CPU. ALL the CPUs for the ROG STRIX GAMING Z390 motherboard are dual channel. They are optimized for two DIMMs (one per channel). A matched set of two DIMMs is optimum for that motherboard.

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018

So what is the difference between 2 rams and 4? would 4 perform more than 2 slots? I wanna get this https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-lpx-16gb-2pk-x-8gb-3-2-ghz-ddr4-dram-desktop-memory-kit-black/4895506.p?skuId=4895506 I could get it at Micro Center but I plan to price match anyways. Would 4 make a difference or not? 16gb is fine for me. I would love to go 32gb or 64gb one day but cannot afford it.

kanewolf

Titan

4 DIMMs will provide equal or lower performance than 2. Many CPUs can't run 4 DIMMs at as high a clock speed as 2. That is why 4 DIMMs can provide LOWER performance than 2. It is always optimum to buy the amount of RAM you want when you build the machine. Don't expect to randomly add RAM in the future. There is no guarantee that future purchases will be compatible with whatever you have already installed.

Solution