[SOLVED] Dual Channel Problem

Apr 11, 2021
I recently upgraded my pc's ram and when i install a GSkill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 into the motherboard,the other ram (MPPU2GBPC1600) got disconnected from the motherboard.Both of them are 2gb so i should have 4gb but the task manager and other system thing just said that it is 2gb and my ram frequency went from 1600mhz down to 1333mhz.But the CPU-Z said that i am having 4gb of ram but it said i am using single channel.Can someone explain this?I just trying to upgrade my mother's old computer

Solution
Agreed. Memory is sold as a kit for a reason, because that is how they are tested. This was not much of an issue in the distant past, DDR2 and earlier was fairly flexible if you set the voltage at the higher of the two sticks, and the timing and speed at the lower of the two sticks.

NOW: You could get lucky if you try using one stick and manually setting the speed at 1333Mhz, the voltage at the higher of either stick and the timings to the higher of either stick. Don't worry about dual channel, it really is not as important as you think relative to having twice the memory. Once you ge the two sticks to run together and pass the free version of memtest86, you can try to gradually increase speed or decrease timings, may...

Nero1024

Reputable
Apr 28, 2018
Bad idea to use different RAMs. To avoid any problems, you should always try both RAM sticks to be exactly the same. Maybe your RAM sticks are just not compatible with each other. If you want dual channel, RAM sticks should be placed spaced one slot from each other, of course if there are 4 RAM slots total

RealBeast

Titan
Agreed. Memory is sold as a kit for a reason, because that is how they are tested. This was not much of an issue in the distant past, DDR2 and earlier was fairly flexible if you set the voltage at the higher of the two sticks, and the timing and speed at the lower of the two sticks.

NOW: You could get lucky if you try using one stick and manually setting the speed at 1333Mhz, the voltage at the higher of either stick and the timings to the higher of either stick. Don't worry about dual channel, it really is not as important as you think relative to having twice the memory. Once you ge the two sticks to run together and pass the free version of memtest86, you can try to gradually increase speed or decrease timings, may or may not work.

edit: Despite the Hynix model number, the spec that I find on that stick are DDR3-1330, 9-9-9-24 and 1.5V. I would set your memory settings to that set of values and then try both.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 11, 2021
Bad idea to use different RAMs. To avoid any problems, you should always try both RAM sticks to be exactly the same. Maybe your RAM sticks are just not compatible with each other. If you want dual channel, RAM sticks should be placed spaced one slot from each other, of course if there are 4 RAM slots total
Yeah,i know that but my old ram is just rare.It's a small company and seem like it don't even exist anymore.

Apr 11, 2021

NOW: You could get lucky if you try using one stick and manually setting the speed at 1333Mhz, the voltage at the higher of either stick and the timings to the higher of either stick. Don't worry about dual channel, it really is not as important as you think relative to having twice the memory. Once you ge the two sticks to run together and pass the free version of memtest86, you can try to gradually increase speed or decrease timings, may or may not work.

edit: Despite the Hynix model number, the spec that I find on that stick are DDR3-1330, 9-9-9-24 and 1.5V. I would set your memory settings to that set of values and then try both.
So,should i buy another GSkill one or should i try to make them work together?

Apr 11, 2021

I don't have too much money.

Apr 11, 2021
I am using H61M-DS2 motherboard so.2 slots

Apr 11, 2021

I just reinstall it and check the bios and it worked but the bios lock my ram frequency at 1333mhz.I can change it while my ram suppose to run at 1600mhz

RealBeast

Titan
I just reinstall it and check the bios and it worked but the bios lock my ram frequency at 1333mhz.I can change it while my ram suppose to run at 1600mhz
That module was difficult to find in multi-stick use, but all of them that I saw ran it at 1333. Just try it, would you rather have the G.Skill just sitting as a paperweight. You will see almost no difference between 1333 and 1600 in your situation. 4GB would make a much greater impact.