Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
If I were to buy a stick of 1Gb from brand X, and then later (~3-4 months) buy another stick same brand, same capacity, same stick overall would I be able to run in dual channel? I think I read somewhere that there might be compatibility issues due to a change in manufacturing process or if I bought from a factory that manufacters memory slightly differently.

any ideas?

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
If I were to buy a stick of 1Gb from brand X, and then later (~3-4 months) buy another stick same brand, same capacity, same stick overall would I be able to run in dual channel? I think I read somewhere that there might be compatibility issues due to a change in manufacturing process or if I bought from a factory that manufacters memory slightly differently.

any ideas?

Well.... you need to make sure your mb supports dual channel feature. If everything is the same , you should not have any problems adding another stick later on.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Well of course I would check if it supported dual channel first 8O
Yes, it should run dual-channel, but timings/voltage requirements may be different, and you should set all RAM parameters manually(disable- "By SPD").

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
It largely depends who this "brand X" is. If it's some 3rd party discount seller, such as Ultra, you can't count on them to be selling the same type of chips. Sure a set a Hynix and a set of Elixer chips just might work together, but the SPD bytes between a couple of sticks might just be different enough to prevent them from working together. Read the following PDF from Micron to understand more about dual channel mode:

http://download.micron.com/pdf/technotes/TN0452_A.pdf

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
It largely depends who this "brand X" is. If it's some 3rd party discount seller, such as Ultra, you can't count on them to be selling the same type of chips. Sure a set a Hynix and a set of Elixer chips just might work together, but the SPD bytes between a couple of sticks might just be different enough to prevent them from working together. Read the following PDF from Micron to understand more about dual channel mode:

http://download.micron.com/pdf/technotes/TN0452_A.pdf

Well I actually meant If I had one stick and then I added one more stick of the same brand, a stick that was for instance 4 months older and it was completely and 100% totally the same as the previous stick I bought except for the fact that I did not buy them in a dual channel kit and I bought them a fair amount of time apart.

This is purely hypothetical of course, when I buy my memory for my new system it will be a dual channel kit :) .

bridonca

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
I think the answer you are looking for is that it should work, but there are no guarantees sadly. Try to find a dimm that uses the same chips as the old one to improve your chances.

Mondoman

Splendid

Well I actually meant If I had one stick and then I added one more stick of the same brand, a stick that was for instance 4 months older and it was completely and 100% totally the same as the previous stick... .
After 4 months, I would think it unlikely that the new module design/components hadn't been at least slightly changed from the old one.

In any case, brid is correct.

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
Keep in mind that a "dual Channel kit" is just a marketing ploy. It's the motherboard that determins dual channel. You can buy 2 sticks of the same RAM and it will run dual channel if the motherboard supports dual channel.

Ah thanks for clearing that up. I knew your motherboard determined if it would run in dual channel or not but I wasnt sure if it was a kit just for the sake of having been made closely together so that it would be 100% compatible.