• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Dual channel RAM (2x2) upgrading to Triple Channel

junkyarddog4

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Hi, I'm considering of buying a new computer. The motherboard I chose (an LGA 775) supports DDR3 RAM, dual channel memory of course.

Now, I was wondering, if I buy 2x2 DDR3 RAM and later I'd like to upgrade to, say, an i7 CPU (LGA 1366) which uses triple channel memory, would it work if I just buy another DDR3 RAM stick (so that I have 2x2gb + another 1x2gb)? I know of the voltage difference but I was wondering if it'll run or if it's damaging.

Thanks!

bilbat

Splendid
The RAM itself doesn't care about 'channel count' - many two channel kits contain the same exact DIMMs as three channel kits - they're just sold either 2 & 4, or 3 & 6 at a time... I would do three things: be sure your RAM is a 'reasonable' speed (unlikely to get something ridiculous, like 2000, running on a 775); be sure the voltage required is withing the i7's range (1.5 - 1.65, ideally); and buy all three (six?) sticks now, so you're sure to get a 'matched set' - it's notoriously difficult to get 'mismatched' RAM to work decently, and you just never know if a given part number will be available from any manufacturer, even months from now, much less a year or two...