[SOLVED] Dual channel ram blue screen

Dec 13, 2021
I bought a laptop that is msi gl63 8Sd. It has 8 gb ram (1x8) .
And then i bought another 8gb ram that is the same ddr4-2667 but with different timing.
I used it and it work normally. After long time it goes blue screen.
the blue screen keeps on repeating unless i used one ram only.
Can anyone Help ?

Solution
if it was a PC I would suggest buying a set of 16gb of ram and replace both sticks with it

if you can get ram with same timings, I would buy one stick as laptops generally let you use mismatching ram provided timings are the same.

the safest option is a matching set, as they tested to work with each other. Less gambles.
Dec 13, 2021

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it was a PC I would suggest buying a set of 16gb of ram and replace both sticks with it

if you can get ram with same timings, I would buy one stick as laptops generally let you use mismatching ram provided timings are the same.

the safest option is a matching set, as they tested to work with each other. Less gambles.

Solution
Dec 13, 2021

is there a way to fix it without buying ram sticks?

To fix, remove the second dimm and run with 8gb.
Possibly, the new dimm is defective.
To test,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.
If the new stick is defective, return it; ram should have a lifetime warranty.

Check with the ram vendor(crucial,kingston, corsair,g.skil...)
Access their ram selection app and enter the make/model of your laptop.
You will get a list of supported ram upgrades.

Mismatched ram can always be a problem.
To be absolutely certain of trouble free operation, consider abandoning both sticks and replace with a supported 2 x 8gb kit.