george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Does anybody know the advantages / disadvantages of using dual channel ram.

I am thinking of getting two 512mb modules to run in dual.will this minimize
rendering times in adobe premiere pro?

Many thanks

George

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:59:31 +0000 (UTC), "George"
<froggyville@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Does anybody know the advantages / disadvantages of using dual channel ram.
>
>I am thinking of getting two 512mb modules to run in dual.will this minimize
>rendering times in adobe premiere pro?

When using dual channel memory the transfer of data to and from memory
is twice as fast as with single channel memory. This will speed up a
pc, however only on this point, transfer to and from hard disk is
unaffected and stays relatively slow, also processing power stays the
same. So only the part taken by ram transfers of totall
processing-time is decreased, this may be only a small component of
the totall time, especially when a lot of hard disk activity is
needed.

AnthonyR

Well, I have 2 PC's, both are 2.4ghz, however on one I have dual channel
memory and also overclocked the cpu to 3.01ghz. That boosts the FSB speed to
about 1ghz also, and let me tell you, it kicks the other pc's a*s!
Most programs render at about 125 fps, dvd shrink etc.
The other one about half that speed, so if the system speed is fast (FSB) I
would say the dual channel memory helps all together, oh and the fast cpu
also has HT which the other doesn't. It all plays a role in total.

AnthonyR.

"George" <froggyville@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody know the advantages / disadvantages of using dual channel
ram.

> I am thinking of getting two 512mb modules to run in dual.will this
minimize
> rendering times in adobe premiere pro?
>
> Many thanks
>
> George

Thats not much use as an answer as there are too many other factors.

Have you tried both pcs without oc`ing? and without HT

That would be more of a clue to see if dual channel makes a difference!

"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message
> Well, I have 2 PC's, both are 2.4ghz, however on one I have dual channel
> memory and also overclocked the cpu to 3.01ghz. That boosts the FSB speed
> about 1ghz also, and let me tell you, it kicks the other pc's a*s!
> Most programs render at about 125 fps, dvd shrink etc.
> The other one about half that speed, so if the system speed is fast (FSB)
> would say the dual channel memory helps all together, oh and the fast cpu
> also has HT which the other doesn't. It all plays a role in total.
>
> AnthonyR.
>
> "George" <froggyville@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Does anybody know the advantages / disadvantages of using dual channel
> ram.
> >
> > I am thinking of getting two 512mb modules to run in dual.will this
> minimize
> > rendering times in adobe premiere pro?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > George

AnthonyR

Hi Ginchy,
Oh I totally agree, there are so many factors, and I don't think one factor
alone even makes any noticeable difference, but when you combine all
together then you can notice and measure an increase, so I was just
recommending that
he get dual memory if he can along with any other improvements he can.

I didn't bother doing the test by disabling the HT and etc... I do admit the
overclocking is giving the big boost, the rest is just icing. :)

AnthonyR

"Ginchy" <whicanibe@now.com> wrote in message
> Thats not much use as an answer as there are too many other factors.
>
> Have you tried both pcs without oc`ing? and without HT
>
> That would be more of a clue to see if dual channel makes a difference!
>

> "AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message
> > Well, I have 2 PC's, both are 2.4ghz, however on one I have dual
channel
> > memory and also overclocked the cpu to 3.01ghz. That boosts the FSB
speed
> > about 1ghz also, and let me tell you, it kicks the other pc's a*s!
> > Most programs render at about 125 fps, dvd shrink etc.
> > The other one about half that speed, so if the system speed is fast
(FSB)
> > would say the dual channel memory helps all together, oh and the fast
cpu
> > also has HT which the other doesn't. It all plays a role in total.
> >
> > AnthonyR.
> >
> > "George" <froggyville@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Does anybody know the advantages / disadvantages of using dual channel
> > ram.
> > >
> > > I am thinking of getting two 512mb modules to run in dual.will this
> > minimize
> > > rendering times in adobe premiere pro?
> > >
> > > Many thanks
> > >
> > > George