Dual Channel Rambus on i850e vs. Dual Channel DDR

Anthony1234

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
Has any test/benchmarks/comparisons been done between these two?
At tomshardware they tested the Dual Channel Rambus against a Dual Channel DDR for e7205 chipset (p4) system and e7205 only supports DDR266 Ram. They also did a review for the nforce2 boards but never pitched the two head to head.

So I am interested in seeing a comparison between Dual Channel Rambus on i850e vs. Dual Channel DDR on Nforce2

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, that's silly. You can't compare the nForce2 to the i850E, it's apples to oranges. You see, the biggest problem is that one is an AMD chipset and the other a P4 chipset. And AMD processors have their good and bad points, which are different than the P4's good and bad points, making a memory only comparison on those chipsets impossible.

It would be like comparing Pirelli tires on an NSX to Michelin tires on a Porche. You'd never know if the winner did better because of the tires or the suspension.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

Anthony1234

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
I understand your point, but basically from a layman's view, I want to find out which will give me the better performance in games.

I know technically it is different but you can always compare speed as measured in Frames per second in games, and various benchmark with a similar caliber AMD vs P4 processor.

Look at it from a "non-technical" point of view. I want to buy a new gaming computer, and I want to know which I should buy so that it will run games smoothly, that's all.

If nothing else, maybe no technical benchmarks but user opinion. I'm sure the AMD vs Intel discussions have taken place before.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, what you'll want to do here is:
Compare an A7N8X to a similar speed Intel system
Compare an Intel system with the same chipset to another Intel system with a different chipset.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>