Dual Channel to Triple Channel?

Solution
So long as the you have 3 sticks of the exact same* DDR3 memory and your motherboard supports it, you can run it triple channel.

* - Speed doesn't have to be the same depending on the motherboard but it will revert to the slowest speed for all 3 sticks.

TheViper

Distinguished
So long as the you have 3 sticks of the exact same* DDR3 memory and your motherboard supports it, you can run it triple channel.

* - Speed doesn't have to be the same depending on the motherboard but it will revert to the slowest speed for all 3 sticks.

Solution

arkuatic

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I went to my local fry's store and asked an employee about the same exact memory above if it would be compatible with my i7 920, he replied, "no because the 1366 socket allows only triple channel and this memory is dual channel." So I asked, "well can't i just buy two set of the same memory and plug that in so I can triple channel?" His reply was "no because this is dual channel memory you need to buy the ones that say triple channel."

I'm a bit skeptical with his answer because he did look like he was improvising his answer but I really can't risk wasting time and money buying memory that will not work. I don't see the thought of having to purchase 'triple channel' labeled memory when its basically 3 sticks of ddr3 sdram 1333 instead of two. Am i wrong here or is there something my ignorance cannot perceive?

TheViper

Distinguished
There is a reason the clerks behind the counter are paid minimum wage and he just demonstrated why.

I wonder if that clerk ever wondered how those Core i7 dual channel vs triple channel benchmarks came out. Perhaps he's mistaking triple channel for DDR3?

Pardon my mocking of him but to answer your question, yes, you may run it in dual channel (2 sticks) just fine.

arkuatic

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Unfortunately there was a sale on the memory for 70$ which I brought a friend along to help me buy the other set so I can run triple channel(limited 1 per customer) and since he provided me false information I missed out on a great deal and wasted my friend's time as well as mine.

Just to make sure its clear me buying two sets of any 240-pin ddr3 sdram xxxxmhz memory is fine for the i7 920 and ill have tri channel correct?

If you buy a 2x2GB kit now and get another 2x2GB kit later you'll end up with four sticks of RAM. You need RAM in sets of three for triple channel operation. That means you would have to buy three 2x2GB kits and you'd end up with a triple channel 12GB setup (6x2GB). You're better off buying a 3x2GB triple channel kit.

You have to have either three or six sticks of RAM in order for RAM to run in triple channel. I know it's fun to make fun of the Fry's employee, but he seems to be correct in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-channel_architecture

"The architecture can only be used when all three, or a multiple of three, memory modules are identical in capacity and speed, and are placed in triple-channel slots. When two memory modules are installed, the architecture will operate in dual-channel mode."

TheViper

Distinguished
You don't need 6. Just 3.

I think Shortstuff_mt was simply pointing out if you bought 2 x 2 GB now and another 2 x 2 GB later that it would make more sense to either grab another 2 x 2 GB for 6 x 2 GB or just buy a single 2 GB stick later for 3 x 2 GB. Either way you get triple channel.

arkuatic

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
So from what you're saying I wont get triple channel if I have 4 sticks?

*Also that same fry's employee said, "oh yea the i7 just came out recently." this after noon when i stopped by.

TRENDING THREADS