[SOLVED] Dual Channel vs Triple Channel

Wanderrlust

Reputable
Dec 20, 2019
Hey everyone, I've never really thought about it but after getting some bad performance with components I know can do the job, I was wondering if my memory is a problem. My current setup is 2 sticks of 4gb and 1 stick of 8 gb. They're all the same speed. My question is whether I should get rid of the 2 sticks of four, and replace them with another stick of 8 (going from 2 of 4 and 1 of 8 to just two of 8).
More than happy to answer any follow up questions
Thanks in advance

Solution
Do not mix RAM. All your RAM installed should be from the same RAM Kit.

Your motherboard has Dual Channel probably. Not triple or quad channel. Having 3 sticks is not having your RAM in Triple channel. Only your 2 sticks of 4GB are in dual channel and this is if they are in the good slots on your board and if you can see them being in dual channel in like CPU-Z the program.

What is your full system specs?

If you want 16GB of RAM you should remove all those sticks and buy a 2x8GB RAM Kit.
Do not mix RAM. All your RAM installed should be from the same RAM Kit.

Your motherboard has Dual Channel probably. Not triple or quad channel. Having 3 sticks is not having your RAM in Triple channel. Only your 2 sticks of 4GB are in dual channel and this is if they are in the good slots on your board and if you can see them being in dual channel in like CPU-Z the program.

What is your full system specs?

If you want 16GB of RAM you should remove all those sticks and buy a 2x8GB RAM Kit.

Solution

Endre

Reputable
Hey everyone, I've never really thought about it but after getting some bad performance with components I know can do the job, I was wondering if my memory is a problem. My current setup is 2 sticks of 4gb and 1 stick of 8 gb. They're all the same speed. My question is whether I should get rid of the 2 sticks of four, and replace them with another stick of 8 (going from 2 of 4 and 1 of 8 to just two of 8).
More than happy to answer any follow up questions
Thanks in advance

First of all, by populating 3 memory slots on a dual channel motherboard doesn’t mean that your memory configuration is now “triple channel”.

I’d sell all the memory and buy a kit of two (2x8GB).

Adding another 8GB module to the one that you already have, might work, but in some rare cases it doesn’t.

I’d definitely get rid of the two 4GB modules.