[SOLVED] Dual channel will not allow full DOCP speed.

May 21, 2020
If I reduce the sped to 3333, it works fine, but at 3466, the ram errors constantly and blue screens windows. I am running a Ryzen 7 2700x on an Asus ROG Strix b450-f with Kingston HyperX ram. I checked the qvl and the ram was ordered directly from the list to ensure compatibility. The mobo and cpu both have been RMA'd and found bad, I have tried a minor overclock and upping the voltage to 1.37 with no luck. Ryzen calculator didn't seem to help the issue with their timings pretty much matching everything but a few settings in the bios. The ram is Hynix C Die, which I understand is decent for this type of setup. I am using the stock Wraith Spire cooler currently. Any help is appreciated!

Solution
Kingston does not show any 32GB memory kits, whether with two or four DIMMs, over the speed of 2666mhz as being compatible/validated for the B450-F regardless of CPU model used. So that kit is not memory manufacturer validated for that board.

That memory kit is also not listed on the B450-F Ryzen 2000 series QVL list either. In fact, there are only THREE 3466mhz memory kits, at all, listed as compatible with that motherboard on the QVL (That are validated to run at higher than 3200mhz speeds) and those are HX434C19FWK2/32, HX434C19FRK2/32 and HX434C19FBK2/32. There are OTHER 3466mhz kits listed on the QVL besides these, but they are only validated to run at a maximum of 3200mhz, which tells me that this board with a Ryzen 2000 series...
May 21, 2020
How many DIMMs are you using?

What is the EXACT model of the memory kit?

Did all the memory you are using come together in ONE kit, or are there multiple sticks/kits in use that did not all come together from the manufacturer?

What BIOS version are you running?
I am using 2 dimms, and they are from the same kit. 3466 MHZ kit. Model HX434c16fb3k2/32. I have tested the sticks in both slots individually at stock speed and they are fine. The issue only crops up when running in dual channel mode ( both sticks installed). The bios is 3003, the latest. BTW, thank you for answering and asking questions.

Kingston does not show any 32GB memory kits, whether with two or four DIMMs, over the speed of 2666mhz as being compatible/validated for the B450-F regardless of CPU model used. So that kit is not memory manufacturer validated for that board.

That memory kit is also not listed on the B450-F Ryzen 2000 series QVL list either. In fact, there are only THREE 3466mhz memory kits, at all, listed as compatible with that motherboard on the QVL (That are validated to run at higher than 3200mhz speeds) and those are HX434C19FWK2/32, HX434C19FRK2/32 and HX434C19FBK2/32. There are OTHER 3466mhz kits listed on the QVL besides these, but they are only validated to run at a maximum of 3200mhz, which tells me that this board with a Ryzen 2000 series CPU is somewhat finicky about the memory configuration. And we know Ryzen in general is so that's not surprising.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...D_Ryzen_2000_Series_Processors_B450_4DIMM.pdf

G.Skill shows no compatible kits at that speed and Corsair shows three kits that do not show up on the motherboard QVL list, that are 3466mhz, and are validated for that board based on the results of the Corsair memory finder utility.

So 3466mhz compatibility is very limited and getting them to actually run at that speed is probably going to require the use of a 3000 series CPU, OR possibly a set of B-die sticks with a 2000 series CPU. Or the three kits I listed earlier, and maybe these other three from Corsair.

My advice, run them at 3333mhz and go on with life. The difference will be extremely negligible AND you might actually be able to tighten the timings a little bit at 3333mhz to narrow the difference in performance, or even perform better. Keep in mind that 3200mhz sticks at CL14 are actually faster, with a lower true latency, than 3600mhz sticks at CL16.

Solution
May 21, 2020

That memory kit is also not listed on the B450-F Ryzen 2000 series QVL list either. In fact, there are only THREE 3466mhz memory kits, at all, listed as compatible with that motherboard on the QVL (That are validated to run at higher than 3200mhz speeds) and those are HX434C19FWK2/32, HX434C19FRK2/32 and HX434C19FBK2/32. There are OTHER 3466mhz kits listed on the QVL besides these, but they are only validated to run at a maximum of 3200mhz, which tells me that this board with a Ryzen 2000 series CPU is somewhat finicky about the memory configuration. And we know Ryzen in general is so that's not surprising.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...D_Ryzen_2000_Series_Processors_B450_4DIMM.pdf

G.Skill shows no compatible kits at that speed and Corsair shows three kits that do not show up on the motherboard QVL list, that are 3466mhz, and are validated for that board based on the results of the Corsair memory finder utility.

So 3466mhz compatibility is very limited and getting them to actually run at that speed is probably going to require the use of a 3000 series CPU, OR possibly a set of B-die sticks with a 2000 series CPU. Or the three kits I listed earlier, and maybe these other three from Corsair.

My advice, run them at 3333mhz and go on with life. The difference will be extremely negligible AND you might actually be able to tighten the timings a little bit at 3333mhz to narrow the difference in performance, or even perform better. Keep in mind that 3200mhz sticks at CL14 are actually faster, with a lower true latency, than 3600mhz sticks at CL16.
You know, I searched the very top kit and that came back. I got the old bait and switch. I will just stick with 3333 and take it as a learning point (never trust amazon when it comes to memory kit models). Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS