Question Dual channel with different tras?

Feb 23, 2023
I have a ram in my pc with the following specs:
Marca: Zadak Modelo:Z D4-TWS30C0816GYB1T ipo: 288-Pin DDR4 U-DIMM Velocidade / Timing / Voltagem:
DDR4 3000 CL16-18-18-38 1.35V Capacidade: 16GB

I would like to add another ram to work in dual channel. But that model is no longer available in my country. There are some other zadak models with similar specs, but they have rgb and I hate those loghts that not always we can turn off correctly.

I found a ram from another brand with the following specs:
Marca: Geil Modelo: GAPR416GB3000C16AS
Frequência: 3000MHz Latência CAS:16-18-18-36 Capacidade:16GB Tensão:1.35 V

The only difference I noticed is the last number in cas latency that is different :
In zadak
16-16-18-38
In geil:
16-16-18-36

In such situation can they both work in dual channel?

mixing RAM kits is never recommended.

many times same manufacturer sticks, even with same specs, turn out incompatible.
even if they boot and run simultaneously they can lead to data corruption or just an overall slowdown of system processes.
can they both work in dual channel?
you never know.

it's always possible that setting them to same frequency and timings could work,
could work with a slowdown in data processing,
or could lead to constant bluescreens or other crashes, etc...

Feb 23, 2023
mixing RAM kits is never recommended.

many times same manufacturer sticks, even with same specs, turn out incompatible.
even if they boot and run simultaneously they can lead to data corruption or just an overall slowdown of system processes.

you never know.

it's always possible that setting them to same frequency and timings could work,
could work with a slowdown in data processing,
or could lead to constant bluescreens or other crashes, etc...

Does that mean that unless I buy a double kit it will never safe to expand my ram, adding another stick to the remaining empty slot?

Does that mean that unless I buy a double kit it will never safe to expand my ram
kits are put through multiple stages of testing to ensure matching performance / compatibility.

many single packages are sold that way due to their incapability of performing at rated speeds with other modules.

it is always a gamble trying to pair modules that are not packaged together.
you can attempt it
but probably ~60% of the time users report either decreased performance in best case,
system crashing as worst case,
and a multitude of other issues due to data not being properly synced between the modules.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
If it has the ability to explicitly set ram specs and voltages you may be ok on an Intel system. You may have to increase ram voltage above the 1.35v levels printed on the ram kit. Perhaps as high as 1.5 - 1.6v.

Ryzen systems are very tightly tied to ram specs and your chances of success are much less.

Feb 23, 2023
kits are put through multiple stages of testing to ensure matching performance / compatibility.

many single packages are sold that way due to their incapability of performing at rated speeds with other modules.

it is always a gamble trying to pair modules that are not packaged together.
you can attempt it
but probably ~60% of the time users report either decreased performance in best case,
system crashing as worst case,
and a multitude of other issues due to data not being properly synced between the modules.
Thank you for your explanation.

Feb 23, 2023
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
If it has the ability to explicitly set ram specs and voltages you may be ok on an Intel system. You may have to increase ram voltage above the 1.35v levels printed on the ram kit. Perhaps as high as 1.5 - 1.6v.

Ryzen systems are very tightly tied to ram specs and your chances of success are much less.
My motherboard is asus prime a520-e and the processor ryzen 5 5600g

TRENDING THREADS