Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
Intel Core i7 4790K
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2400 CL10 1.65V
ASUS GTX660-DC2O-2GD5
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 B2
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
StarTech PCIe Wireless Adapter
5x120mm case fan, 1x230mm case fan

So I put the whole thing together, did all the cable management and such and went to boot up for the first time. Well, it didn't POST, my monitor stayed blank and my mobo speaker gave continuous short beeps with a power cycle. I found this meant a power error. After I wasted tons of time unplugging everything, plugging back in, trying a different power supply with no success and worrying that one slip of the screwdriver in the PCIe and M.2 direction which left a slight scratch on the PCB fucked something up, I managed to isolate (at least I hope/think so) the issue.

Something about the RAM is causing the problem. My slots in order away from the CPU are 4,2,3,1. I'm fairly certain the RAM sticks themselves are fine. I have tested both sticks one at a time in slots 1 and 3 and that POSTs fine but 2 and 4 individually (i guess that makes sense since 1 or 3 should be filled first) and the 1,2 and 3,4 pairs don't POST, giving me the blank screen and short continuous beeps with power cycle. I tried turning on XMP and it seems to have autodetected the stick specs. I have also tried loosening the cpu cooler and tightening it again screw tight. How do I get the 2 sticks to work together? Should I go ahead and install WIndows with the one stick and see if there's a BIOS update? Doesn't make sense why the dual channel setup doesn't work.

BSOD BSTD

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Go into BIOS and check what speed the RAM is running at. It might be worth manually setting the voltages, however the XMP should have taken care of that :/

The RAM is def. compatible with your Mboard, so thats not the issue.

SpetsnazBeaver

Honorable
Mar 25, 2015
The slots are definitely correct. 1 and 2 are grey spaced by 3 and 4 by black. I have enabled xmp, I'll check the voltage. The thing is when 2 sticks are inserted the screen is blank and the system doesn't post, continuously giving short beeps and power cycling. One stick works perfectly. Could the BIOS need updating? Again, I've already tried the cpu cooler loosening trick.