[SOLVED] Dual Channel

Jun 25, 2020
Hi guys
Well, I have 2x4GB on channel A and I want to add 1x8GB (same brand and same frequency ) on channel B. Will I have a Dual Channel working?
Thanks!

Solution
If you put the single 8GB stick in one of the other slots, the first 4GB will dual channel with one of the 4GB sticks thanks to flex mode (or whatever it is called now with AMD). The other 4GB stick and remaining 4GB of the 8GB stick should remain in single channel mode. Unless he has a reason for leaving the empty DIMM slot, I'd populate the unused slots with another 2x4GB of RAM.

But whatever he does, be sure to update to the BIOS to the latest version. 1st gen Ryzens had issues with populating all slots. At least with faster RAM. That should be remedied with AGESA fixes in later BIOSs.
Jun 25, 2020
It would be best to know the rest of your system, MB, etc. But as a general rule...
As long as you have a stick in each (A and B) channel, yes. If you currently have your 2x4GB both in channel A, you do not have dual channel operational.

MB: PRIME B250M-PLUS/BR
CPU: i5 7400

About the channels, I assume that my 2x4GB are in the same slot channel (grey colour slot).
So they aren't in dual channel? Crazy, because I bought this PC from a famous market in my country.

Okay, so if I add this 8GB in B channel, the dual channel will work, right?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
MB: PRIME B250M-PLUS/BR
CPU: i5 7400

About the channels, I assume that my 2x4GB are in the same slot channel (grey colour slot).
So they aren't in dual channel? Crazy, because I bought this PC from a famous market in my country.

Okay, so if I add this 8GB in B channel, the dual channel will work, right?
The same-color slots are correct for dual channel. Read your manual; one grey slot should be A and the other B.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you put the single 8GB stick in one of the other slots, the first 4GB will dual channel with one of the 4GB sticks thanks to flex mode (or whatever it is called now with AMD). The other 4GB stick and remaining 4GB of the 8GB stick should remain in single channel mode. Unless he has a reason for leaving the empty DIMM slot, I'd populate the unused slots with another 2x4GB of RAM.

But whatever he does, be sure to update to the BIOS to the latest version. 1st gen Ryzens had issues with populating all slots. At least with faster RAM. That should be remedied with AGESA fixes in later BIOSs.

Reactions: akiouchiyama
Solution