Dual core Athlon not showing two cores in Windows XP?

armstronga

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Experts,

I have a dual-core Athlon (X2 4400+) that I have recently moved onto a new motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe. Now, the BIOS recognises the two cores on this chip, as does Device Manager under XP.

Did a fresh install of XP, and installed the latest Nvidia mobo drivers and AMD's X2 driver at V 1.3.2.

However, Task Manager thinks there is only one core/CPY, i.e only one CPU graph is shown and the usual "Show one graph per CPU" option is checked.

Also, and this is the proof, CPUZ states I have a Toledo AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, but the usual dropdown at the bottom of the front-page does not let me select anything apart from Core 0. In fact the dropdown is disabled.

Finally, I downloaded AMD's CPUInfo tool. Again, ti shows only one processor and one core.

What am I doing wrong? On my old mobo 2 cores were evident in all these utilities...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
To be honest the same thing happened to me sort of. I installed Virtual Sevrer on XP and I lost a CPU graph. I think CPUz still shows both core and DevMgr --> computer shows ACPI multiprocessor PC. If a process spikes a CPU, i don't lose responsiveness so I know it's still being used.

I'm at work now but i'll check CPUz again when I get home. That mobo should definitely see both cores - even without a BIOS flash.

armstronga

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Indeed [ Ctrl Panel -> DevMgr -> Computer ] shows "ACPI PC". No mention of "Multiprocessor PC" which it showed with the same CPU in a different mobo...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Indeed [ Ctrl Panel -> DevMgr -> Computer ] shows "ACPI PC". No mention of "Multiprocessor PC" which it showed with the same CPU in a different mobo...

then that's whatthe problem is go back to DevMgr > Computer and update the driver. Choose ACPI Multiprocessor. It should actually find it. (the driver)

armstronga

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Yes - I think you have identified the problem there. The UniProcessor ACIP HAL is in use by WinXP, not the multiprocessor HAL. This is maybe because I orginally installed windows with a VERY old bios in the machine.

Anyway, I am using Control Panel to update the driver and select "I will choose a location", but only Uniprocessor ACPI and non-ACPI HALs are shown. Even if I uncheck 'Show compatible hardware", only those two options are there.

How do I force it to use the multiprocessor ACPI HAL?

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Have you installed a new bios? That needs to be the first thing you try.

If you have already done that (as I hope you have) you may want to try installing the drivers from AMD's website. I believe they are listed there for instances just like this...

That should intstall the multiprocessor ACPI Hal as an option, as im sure windows didn't bother to install it when you originally installed. It then should at least become an option when you try to install the multiprocessor, if it doesn't do it automatically.

If that doesn't work, it goes beyond what I can think of.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Yes - I think you have identified the problem there. The UniProcessor ACIP HAL is in use by WinXP, not the multiprocessor HAL. This is maybe because I orginally installed windows with a VERY old bios in the machine.

Anyway, I am using Control Panel to update the driver and select "I will choose a location", but only Uniprocessor ACPI and non-ACPI HALs are shown. Even if I uncheck 'Show compatible hardware", only those two options are there.

How do I force it to use the multiprocessor ACPI HAL?

That's really wierd. Liek I said that board shouldn't need a BIOS flash if you just bought it. You miht want to think about retuurning it. It's been a long time since I hacked a driver in so I'll have to think about it. But I'm thinking it's the board. I don't think one core can go out.

Check out ASUS' site for FAQs also.

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Have you reinstalled your OS (I'll assume Windows XP) since you popped that X2 in there ? If not, you'll need to switch to the ACPI Multiprocessor HAL, Here's how

You will also need to apply some patches and hotfixes, Here's how

Taking those two steps will ensure that the OS will use both cores properly.