dual core graphics card?? possible?

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
hello, i've thought about this when i bought my computer(6month ago). since there are many dual core cpus, some quad core cpus, im thinking it is possible to make dual core gpus, what do you guys think? and when do you think i will be able to get it?

Ilander

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
They used to toil around with that idea, but really, the current gpus are sooo massively multithreaded (on a hardware level)that "dual core" is a level they've way since surpassed.

patater

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
i have read somewhere on the net that 38xx series ati cards are going x2 as well, like a 3870 x2. i also read at turn of year, or 1st quarter they should be in stores. i dont know if this is true, but it would be awesome..kinda pointless i suppose, but its always, well, mine is bigger kinda world ya know?

starcraftfanatic

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
its not really dual core, but dual GPU. two cards stuck together in a small package. crossfire for one slot.
like Quad FX or the Xeons (lets hope its more like the Xeons.)

If your going to use 2 x nVidia GPU's you could use that on the SLI board. If you want to use AMD GPU's you'd need a X-fire supported mobo to do that.

SLI (nVidia chipset) - means 2 GPU cards, or 2 slots on the mobo for 2 seperate video cards.
Tri-SLI (nVidia chipset) - means 3 GPU cards, or 3 slots on the mobo for 3 seperate video cards.
X-fire (AMD/ATI chipset) - means 2 GPU cards, or 2 slots on the mobo for 2 seperate video cards.
Spider platform (AMD/ATI chipset) - Rumor has it that it'll handle up to 4, IIRC, video cards, which means 4 GPU cards, or 4 slots on the mobo for 4 seperate video cards. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that is what I remember reading somewhere.

Multicore GPU's on 1 card - is like having 1 video card with 2 GPU's on them, sorta like the nVidia 7950 gt had/has. I'm thinking that was your original question, but thought I show you the different variations out.

TRENDING THREADS